ESMO Palliative Care Working Group: Major Achievements
- First international data on opioid availability published in Annals of Oncology. ESMO reports: Untreated cancer pain a ‘scandal of global proportions'. Find out more about this important initiative and all the advocacy tools available.
- Publication of the User's Manual for Oncology Clinicians. The guide presents 'clinician's notes' for each of the 16 chapters in the patients' guide – A Guide for Patients with Advanced Cancer: Getting the most out of your oncologist.
- 10th Anniversary of the ESMO Designated Centres Programme with 160 centres worldwide currently accredited.
- ESMO supports World Cancer Day 2012 - Essential medicines for all!
- A Guide for Patients with Advanced Cancer: Getting the most out of your oncologist.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) revised edition of the Guidance for Availability and Accessibility of Controlled Medicines supports the work of the ESMO international collaborative project on the availability and barriers to access of opioids. Nathan Cherny, Chair of the ESMO Palliative Care Working Group, comments on the importance of the WHO Guide and its relevance for medical oncologists.
- International collaborative project on the availability and barriers to access of opioids to cancer patients in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. Project expands on original ESMO/EAPC European survey published in Annals of Oncology in March 2010.
- Two Palliative Care ESMO E-Learning modules "Difficult pain problems" and "Practical tips for the management of difficult pain problems"
- Published in the Annals of Oncology: Formulary availability and regulatory barriers to accessibility of opioids for cancer pain in Europe: a report from the ESMO/EAPC Opioid Policy Initiative
- Published in the Annals of Oncology: European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) Programme for the Integration of Oncology and Palliative Care: a 5-year review of the Designated Centres’ incentive programme
- Revision of the 13 criteria for the ESMO Designated Centres of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care programme
- Survey on opioid drugs
- Oncologist/Patient communication survey: Report published in the ESMO Newsletter
- Joint publication in the Journal of Clinical Oncology and the Annals of Oncology: ASCO-ESMO consensus statement on quality cancer care
- ESMO Handbook of Advanced Cancer Care
- ESMO 'Designated Centre' in integrated oncology and palliative care programme
- ESMO takes a stand on supportive and palliative care
- Workshop on palliative care
- PCWG established