The ESMO Women for Oncology Award recognises an ESMO member or a recognised institution that has significantly contributed to supporting the career of women working in oncology.
2021 – Rebecca Dent, Singapore
The 2021 ESMO Women for Oncology Award was presented to Prof. Rebecca Dent from the National Cancer Center in Singapore, where she heads the Department of Medical Oncology, for her continued contribution to mentoring younger colleagues and fostering women’s career development.
In an interview published in the ESMO Daily Reporter she talks about the challenges she has been facing in her professional career, as well as about challenges and opportunities in triple-negative breast cancer research, a disease which she was among the firsts to describe.
Previous recipients of the ESMO Women for Oncology Award
- Caroline Robert, France (2020)
- Cristiana Sessa, Switzerland (2019)
- Margaret Foti, USA (2018)
- Frances Shepherd, Canada (2017)
- Sumitra Thongprasert, Thailand (2016)
- Enriqueta Felip, Spain (2015)
Nomination and selection process
Nominations may be made by any ESMO member (except undergraduate medical or science student members). Candidates may not nominate themselves.
Candidate eligibility criteria
- Be an individual, recognised institution or organisation that has made a significant contribution to supporting the career development of women working in oncology by promoting a merit-based working environment, fostering an environment for equality, implementing mentoring programmes or by facilitating personal-professional life balance.
- Be an ESMO member (applies when nominating individuals)
- Be an oncology professional from across the academic, research or clinical oncology environment (applies when nominating individuals)
- Have not previously received the ESMO Women for Oncology Award
- Not be a current or recent (last two years) member of either the ESMO Executive Board, ESMO Council or the ESMO Nomination Committee
Final selection is made by the Selection Committee: ESMO President, ESMO President-Elect, ESMO Past-President, Chair of the ESMO Nomination Committee.