The ESMO Women for Oncology Award recognises an ESMO member or a recognised institution that has significantly contributed to supporting the career of women working in oncology.
2023 – Georgina Long, Australia
The 2023 ESMO Women for Oncology Award was presented at the ESMO 2023 Opening ceremony to Georgina Long, Co-Medical Director of Melanoma Institute Australia (MIA) and Chair of Melanoma Medical Oncology and Translational Research at MIA and Royal North Shore Hospital, The University of Sydney.
Long is being acknowledged for her continued support to women’s career development, having promoted at MIA an environment where women in clinical oncology and research careers can flourish. Leader of an extensive clinical trials team and laboratory at MIA, first female president of the Society for Melanoma Research – the world’s largest association of melanoma researchers – she has also been a role model and inspiration for many women in clinical research.
Previous recipients of the ESMO Women for Oncology Award
- Fatima Cardoso, Portugal (2022)
- Rebecca Dent, Singapore (2021)
- Caroline Robert, France (2020)
- Cristiana Sessa, Switzerland (2019)
- Margaret Foti, USA (2018)
- Frances Shepherd, Canada (2017)
- Sumitra Thongprasert, Thailand (2016)
- Enriqueta Felip, Spain (2015)
Nomination and selection process
Nominations may be made by any ESMO member (except undergraduate medical or science student members). Candidates may not nominate themselves.
Candidate eligibility criteria
- Be an individual, recognised institution or organisation that has made a significant contribution to supporting the career development of women working in oncology by promoting a merit-based working environment, fostering an environment for equality, implementing mentoring programmes or by facilitating personal-professional life balance.
- Be an ESMO member (applies when nominating individuals)
- Be an oncology professional from across the academic, research or clinical oncology environment (applies when nominating individuals)
- Have not previously received the ESMO Women for Oncology Award
- Have not received any other Award from ESMO within the last five (5) years
- Not be a current or recent (last two years) member of either the ESMO Executive Board, ESMO Council or the ESMO Nomination Committee
Final selection is made by the Selection Committee: ESMO President, ESMO President-Elect, ESMO Past-President, Chair of the ESMO Nomination Committee.