The ESMO Certificate of Professional Development is a continuous medical education programme offered to all ESMO members as a further opportunity of gaining in-depth knowledge in a specific area.
ESMO members can build a customized professional development programme by attending an array of tumour-specific, diverse educational and scientific ESMO events over a period of three years and ultimately certify this activity by using the ESMO MORA point system.
The certificate is issued upon the completion of the curriculum (fixed part and a flexible part). Candidates will need to collect 50 ESMO-MORA category 1 points in a 3-year period by participating in ESMO online and in-person activities, which will contribute to enriching their education and supporting their professional careers.
ESMO offers the Certificate of Professional Development in the following tumour types:
- Upper Digestive Cancer
- Lower Digestive Cancer
Who can apply?
This educational path is designed by ESMO for all ESMO members with the aim of meeting the growing needs for a more specific certification of professional development in specialized oncology areas/tumour types.
Not an ESMO member? Join now.
To apply for the CPD, you should meet one of the following criteria:
Have passed the ESMO Examination once
(For NON-Medical Oncologists)
Hold a Board certification in a specialty other than Medical Oncology (e.g. Family medicine, OB-GYN, ENT, Dermatology, Oro-Facial and Dental Surgery, Neurosurgery, Neurology, Urology, Surgery, Internal medicine, Radiotherapy)
- Hold a National board certification for organ-specific Medical Oncology (certification to be submitted) OR have at least 3 years documented experience of post-specialisation in organ-specific Medical Oncology (CV to be submitted).
How to apply?
Application can be submitted online by completing the application form, including the relevant certificates. Reporting time: December of each year.
Successful CPD Completion
Have collected 50 ESMO-MORA category 1 CME points in a period of 3 consecutive years over several ESMO activities:
- Fixed Curriculum (at least 12 ESMO-MORA points accrued through the ESMO Deep Dive Webinars in the relevant tumour track). Each webinar is accredited with 2 ESMO-MORA category 1 points.
- Flexible Curriculum (the remaining points to be accrued through the below activities).
- ESMO Advanced Courses and Preceptorships on the relevant topic: CME according to programme.
- ESMO Guidelines Webinars: 1 CME point each
- ESMO E-Learning Module: 1 CME point each
- ESMO Virtual Plenaries: 1 CME point each
- ESMO Handbook CME test online: 5 CME points
- ESMO Congresses and Meetings (relevant track/tumour type) CME points according to sessions for max 5 CME points
- ESMO tumour specific events: CME points according to programme - max 8 points
Upon completion, a certificate will be issued by ESMO.
About the ESMO Certificate of Professional Development
The ESMO Certificate of Professional Development is an excellent opportunity for medical oncologists to keep up to date in the specialised field of interest. It brings together learning synergies from the portfolio of high-quality ESMO educational products and scientific events into an ESMO-enabled certification on a specialized tumour type that the member can obtain via a customized attendance schedule fitting his/her needs and time.
This certificate has no legal standing since only national authorities can grant physicians the right to practice and can certify sub-specialty proficiency.
An Administration fee of 100 EUR will be applied by ESMO.