This award is in commemoration of the European pioneer in cancer research and treatment, founding member and first President of ESMO, Prof. Georges Mathé.
It is presented to an individual internationally recognised for outstanding achievements in the area of Immuno-Oncology.
The ESMO Award for Immuno-Oncology is presented at the annual ESMO Immuno-Oncology Congress and the Award recipient is invited to give a keynote lecture during the Opening Ceremony.
ESMO Award for Immuno-Oncology 2022 Recipient
The 2022 ESMO Award for Immuno-oncology will be presented to Nina Bhardwaj for her outstanding contributions to cancer immunology research. Bhardwaj is the Director of Immunotherapy, Medical Director of the Vaccine and Cell Therapy Laboratory, and Co-Director of the Cancer Immunology Program at The Tisch Cancer Institute.
She will deliver her award lecture on Wednesday, 7 December 2022 during the ESMO Immuno-Oncology Congress 2022.
Previous recipients of the ESMO Award for Immuno-Oncology
- Wolf Hervé Fridman (2021)
- Jedd D. Wolchok (2020)
- Thomas Gajewski (2019)
- Cornelis Melief (2018)
- Laurence Zitvogel (2017)
Georges Mathé was previously commemorated by the Georges Mathé Translational Research Fellowship (2012-2016). As of 2017, the fellowship has been replaced by the ESMO Award for Immuno-Oncology.
Nomination and selection process
The recipient is nominated by the ESMO Immuno-Oncology Congress Scientific Committee based on the following eligibility criteria.
The candidate must:
- be an individual who has made a significant impact in the field of immuno-oncology
- be an oncology professional, medical or clinical oncologist or researcher
- be an ESMO member
The candidate must not:
- be a current member of the ESMO Executive Board, the ESMO Council or the ESMO Nomination Committee, nor have served on these committees within the last two years
- be a past recipient of the ESMO Award for Immuno-Oncology
- have received any other Award from ESMO within the last five (5) years
- be a Scientific Co-Chair of the ESMO Immuno-oncology Congress
Members of the Scientific Committee are eligible however they may not nominate themselves. More than one nomination is allowed.
All nominations are evaluated and a final awardee is selected by the Selection Committee: the Scientific Committee Co-Chairs of the ESMO Immuno-Oncology Congress, the ESMO Nomination Committee Chair and the ESMO President.