If you have any question about the submission process, please check our FAQs
- Open Access – all articles published in ESMO Open are freely available to a global audience, with the copyright retained by the author
- Compliance with funder Open Access mandates – publishing in ESMO Open enables you to fulfil the Open Access requirements of funders such as the Wellcome Trust and Research Councils UK, including using their preferred CC-BY licence
- Rapid publication –all articles are subject to stringent peer review and fast turnaround times, ensuring prompt publication through our continuous publication policy
- Trusted international brands – ESMO Open maintains the scientific and international reputation of ESMO and Elsevier
- High readership visibility – Elsevier hosting makes sure papers are noticed; exceptional articles are press released
Manuscripts should be submitted via the ESMO Open online manuscript submission site, available here.
Your article will not automatically be transferred to ESMO Open if rejected from Annals of Oncology; however, you can choose ESMO Open as an alternate journal when submitting your article.
Open Access means unrestricted online access to research. Open Access publishing strives to facilitate the development of new medicines and healthcare, by disseminating ideas and discoveries efficiently, effectively and equitably. All articles published in ESMO Open are Open Access, so are freely available online in a permanent universally accessible repository.
The APC covers the costs of the publication process (which would traditionally be covered via subscription fees), including:
- Rigorous peer review through a maintained online submission system
- Production costs such as copy editing, typesetting, and preparation for online publication
- Continuous hosting of the article online, available worldwide
- Marketing efforts to increase the article’s exposure
As an open access journal with no subscription charges, a fee is payable by the author or research funder to cover the costs associated with publication. This ensures your article will be immediately and permanently free to access by everyone. The gold open access publication fee for this journal is EUR 3,000, excluding taxes. There is a 60% discount off the open access publication fee for members of the European Society for Medical Oncology. Prices are listed below. There are no charges for Correspondence or Editorials.
Full Price: EUR 3,000
Society Member Price*: EUR 1,200
* To be eligible for the society member discount the corresponding author must be a member of the European Society for Medical Oncology. Elsevier reserves the right to remove or refuse the discount.
Research4Life Article Publishing Charge waiver and discount options We automatically apply Article Publishing Charge waivers or discounts to those articles in gold open access journals for which all authors are based in a country eligible for the Research4Life program.
Elsevier has established agreements with funding bodies, including Wellcome Trust and Research Councils UK. This ensures authors can comply with funding body open access policies and may also be reimbursed for their publication fees.
ESMO Open is an Open Access journal and is therefore free to access for anyone with an internet connection. There is no print edition.
Does ESMO Open impose any copyright restrictions and who retains copyright of the Open Access articles?
Authors retain copyright. Articles are published under a Creative Commons licence to facilitate reuse of the content.
ESMO Open aims to provide authors with a rapid peer review service. Continuous online publication ensures papers are published as soon as they are ready. All phases of the process can be tracked via the online systems.