Apply to Become an ESMO Designated Centre
Cancer centres which provide comprehensive services in supportive and palliative care as part of their routine care can apply to receive the ESMO recognition as an "ESMO Designated Centre of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care".
Application criteria and process
Applications will remain anonymous during the review process undertaken by the Palliative Care Working Group. Any oncology department or cancer centre can apply. Size is not important; to be eligible what matters are the quality and the extent of the integration of services.
The criteria for accreditation, based on recommendation from the World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines on the provision of palliative care for patients with cancer, have been recently revised to make the process of application easier and clearer than ever before. The criteria reflect the issues of integration (items 1-2), credentialing (Items 3-4), service provision (items 5-11), research (item 12) and education (item 13). The complete list is included in the application form.
The centres receiving the certification will be entitled to:
- Use the subtitle, 'ESMO Designated Centre in the Integration of Oncology and Palliative Care'
- Use the ESMO logo in accordance to the ESMO Logo Policy (marketing/advertising related to the centre itself. No advertising of specific events)
- Be eligible to receive fellows in palliative medicine supported by ESMO grants
- The ESMO designation is valid for three years and the centres can reapply
- Promote the integration of palliative care services into the existing national cancer care guidelines
- Encourage palliative care education and training for medical oncologists as well as other healthcare professionals
- Expand the cooperation between ESMO and other existing professional medical associations and organisations worldwide in supporting and sustaining palliative care development