Welcome to ESMO, the European Society for Medical Oncology
ESMO is the leading European professional organisation for medical oncology. Comprising more than 14,000 oncology professionals from over 130 countries, we are the society of reference for oncology education and information. We are committed to supporting our members to develop and advance in a fast-evolving professional environment.
Founded in 1975, ESMO has European roots with a global reach: we welcome oncology professionals from around the world. We are a home for all oncology stakeholders, connecting professionals with diverse expertise and experience, and speaking with one voice for our discipline. Our education and information resources support an integrated multi-professional approach to cancer care, from a medical oncology perspective.
We seek to erase boundaries in cancer care, whether between countries or specialities, and pursue our mission across oncology, worldwide.
- To improve the quality of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, supportive and palliative care, as well as the follow-up of patients with malignant disorders
- To advance the art, science, recognition, and practice of oncology
- To disseminate knowledge in oncology to cancer patients and the public
- To educate and train persons involved in clinical cancer care and research
- To promote education in oncology in order to ensure a high standard of qualification of medical oncologists within the multidisciplinary team
- To facilitate equal access to optimal cancer care to all cancer patients
- To maintain liaisons with other oncology specialities, cancer leagues, universities, patient groups and, where appropriate, the pharmaceutical industry
Cancer care is rapidly becoming more integrated and more specialised; whether their field is research, diagnosis, treatment, care, or advocacy, oncology professionals need to both build their specialist knowledge and connect with the best practitioners in other disciplines worldwide. ESMO membership makes this possible.
Last update: September 2015