ESMO Public Policy Webinar on the General Data Protection Regulation and its impact on clinical research
Date: Friday 21 May 2021
Time: 13:00-15:30 CEST
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) entered into force on 25 May 2016, and has been applicable since 25 May 2018, introducing important changes positively impacting the collection and use of data for all sectors including scientific research across the EU. Three years since the Regulation became applicable, and in view of the direct impact the GDPR has had on research, the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) in association with the MEPs Against Cancer (MAC) Interest Group at the European Parliament, convened a virtual meeting on the GDPR and its impact on clinical research.
ESMO has been working on the topic of the GDPR for many years and with the support of the oncology community recently published a paper summarising the implications of the GDPR on clinical research. Thus, given the impact of the GDPR on clinical research in Europe, it is our responsibility to address this important topic, for the benefit of the oncology and health communities, and most importantly for the patients.
The virtual meeting brought together the perspectives of EU officials and key stakeholders on this topic and facilitated a discussion on the GDPR involving the scientific research community, including the oncology community.
It is vital for us to raise awareness about this important topic and exchange views on how we as a community can work together to overcome any challenges that we may face, as a consistent interpretation of the GDPR at national levels is the only way to protect science and move research forward.
- Paolo Casali, European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- Owe Langfeldt, European Commission
- Alessandra Moretti, MEP
- Peter Liese, MEP
- Eva Maydell, MEP
- Seán Kelly, MEP
- Tomislav Sokol, MEP
- Sabine Brosch & Orsolya Eotvos, European Medicines Agency (EMA)
- Annalisa Trama, European Reference Network on Rare Adult Solid Cancers (ERN EURACAN)
- Rosa Giuliani, European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- Marina Garassino, European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- Dirk Arnold & Annalen Bleckmann, German Society for Haematology and Medical Oncology (DGHO)
- Miguel Angel Segui-Palmer, Spanish Society of Medical Oncology (SEOM)
- Rui Medeiros, Association of European Cancer Leagues (ECL)
- Antonella Cardone, European Cancer Patient Coalition (ECPC)
- Michaela T. Mayrhofer, Biobanking and Biomolecular Resources Research Infrastructure – European Research Infrastructure Consortium (BBMRI-ERIC)
- Roxanna Albu, European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC)
- Rosa Castro, Federation of European Academies of Medicine (FEAM)
- Denis Horgan, European Alliance for Personalised Medicine (EAPM)
- Brendan Barnes, European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industrics and Associations (EFPIA)
You can download the agenda for this event here.
In association with: