ESMO is pleased to present a new ESMO Patient Guide in Breast Cancer, an important new edition in our Patient Guide Series.
Reflecting key developments in the field, this new ESMO Patient Guide in Breast Cancer delivers the following new information compared to the previous edition:
- A new section on sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) and an updated text on the use of SLNB and axillary dissection
- Information on new drugs (neratinib, olaparib, talazoparib)
- Treatment algorithms tailored to patient understanding
- A section on special populations (BRCA-associated disease, pregnancy, young women, elderly patients, men)
- A section on supplementary interventions (supportive, palliative, survivorship and end-of-life care)
- Tables covering the important side effects of all systemic treatments
- A section on the long-term effects of treatment
The previous edition of this guide was the very first of the ESMO Patient Guide series. It was translated into 15 languages through the kind support of national medical associations and patient advocacy organisations. The availability of translations in languages spoken across continents ensured the guide was well received in many countries worldwide. We welcome support for the translation and dissemination of this new and updated version. To express an interest in providing a translation, please contact ESMO.
This guide has been developed and reviewed by an editorial board composed of:
Representatives of the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO): Elżbieta Senkus-Konefka; Fatima Cardoso; Jean-Yves Douillard; Claire Bramley; Francesca Longo; and Svetlana Jezdic
Representative of the ESMO Patient Advocates Working Group (Europa Donna): Tanja Spanic
Representatives of the European Oncology Nursing Society (EONS): Deborah Fenlon and Anita Margulies.