The department of internal medicine, haematology, oncology and palliative care was founded in 2000. It is integrated well in the “Evangelisches Krankenhaus Bethel gGMBH”, an academic teaching hospital of maximum care. The department is the central unit of the "Tumorzentrum Bielefeld" certified as an oncology center by the "Deutsche Gesellschaft für Hämatologie und Medizinische Onkologie".
- 30 Departments with 1499 beds
- 4100 employees, 475 medical doctors, 1600 nurses
- Almost all medical sub-specialities are integrated in the “Evangelisches Krankenhaus Bielefeld gGMBH”
- The department of internal medicine, haematology, oncology and palliative care is in charge of two wards with 38 beds, an ambulatory care unit and a palliative care unit with 7 beds. Besides the head of department, 5 senior physicians are specialized in Haematology and Medical Oncology. Six of the senior physicians are specialized in palliative care. Three of the nurses are specialized in palliative care and two of them have an advanced training in pain relief.
- A 24-hour/7-day telephone hotline is available for our patients at home, their relatives, their general practitioners or other medical professions.
Regular interdisciplinary conferences are established for patients with cancer of the abdomen, chest, breast, uro-genital tract and of the central nervous system. In particular, for palliative care patients with complex needs there are all services available, including oncology expertise, radio-therapeutic, gastroenterological and pulmonary service, pain therapy, surgery i.e. for palliative surgery, vascular surgery, neurosurgery, neurology and all the other services of the hospital.
Palliative and supportive care
A palliative care unit was established in 2004 and has currently seven beds. Symptom control and comprehensive supportive care are treatment objectives throughout the curative, palliative or symptomatical course of treatment. The patient’s needs are evaluated multiprofessionally by nurses and doctors, who are supported by three psycho-oncologists, a music-therapeutics, two painting-therapeutics, physiotherapist and social workers. The palliative care unit is an essential part of the "Tumorzentrum Bielefeld" and is integrated in a network of all consultants of the entire hospital as needed and in a network of ambulatory palliative care and inpatient and ambulatory hospice care.