Established in 2016 as spin-off of the ESMO Women for Oncology initiative, Women for Oncology Italy (W4O Italy) was officially registered as association in Italy in January 2018. W4O Italy is a network with the mission of enhancing the career of female medical oncologists, who are increasing in number and professionalisation, but are still little represented in important professional roles in oncology.
W4O Italy aims to create favorable conditions and open the way to a new group of female leaders, who are ready to face and overcome the challenges related to the gender gap, still existing in oncology in Italy.
Governing body and members
W4O Italy is not affiliated to the Italian oncology society (AIOM).
Board of Directors:
- President: Rossana Berardi
- Vice President: Domenica Lorusso
- Honorary president: Marina Chiara Garassino
- Secretary: Fabiana Letizia Cecere
- Tresaurer: Nicla La Verde
- Rita Chiari
- Valentina Guarneri
- Laura Locati
- Erika Martinelli
W4O Italy also includes all female medical oncologists working in Italy.
W4O Italy organises:
- Scientific meetings, including annual POST-ESMO Congress
- Coaching and managerial training for female medical oncologists
- Meetings around the topic of gender issues in oncology, with the participation of patients’ associations, institutions, politicians and media.
In addition, W4O Italy promotes research activities and supports female medical oncologists in their career path, by helping them in creating a network and reconciling private and work life. The network collaborates with other associations supporting women (i.e., Women in Surgery).