Gustave Roussy Institute of Oncology
ESMO Designated Centre of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care
|Contact person||Dr. Sarah Dauchy|
39 rue Camille Desmoulins
94805 Villejuif cedex
|Contact||Tel: +33 01 4211 4211 - sdauchy(at)igr(dot)fr|
|Web||Gustave Roussy Institute of Oncology|
The Institut Gustave Roussy (IGR) was founded in 1926 and was directed by Prof. Gustave Roussy and in 1950 became the “Institut Gustave Roussy” by decree.
By the end of the eighties the IGR achieved its current appearance although is now being restructured.
- 2100 total staff
- 368 beds
- 1 Consultation area with 8 different sections
- 1 biology and pathology department
- 1 operating area with 14 operating rooms
- 16 beds medico-surgical intensive care unit
- Radiotherapy department with 6 new equipment
- 8 beds for Phase I clinical trials
- Ambulatory clinic (from 34 to 60 beds)
- 14 laboratories affiliated with CNRS, INSERM
- 300 on-going therapeutic trials
- Teaching hospital in collaboration with the University of Paris
IGR specializes in the research and treatment of all types of cancer.
Palliative and supportive care
The Centre created an interdisciplinary department of Supportive Care (DISSPO).
Supportive care facilities include:
- Pain unit
- Palliative care team
- Psycho-Oncology unit
- Social workers
The Pain and Palliative care team is always made up of:
- 5 full-time physicians
- 5 nurses
- 1 social worker
- 2 psychologists
The Centre provides 24x7 support either at home or in the palliative care unit.
Volunteers play an important part in the department.