ESMO Translational Research Fellowships
Comprehensive bench-to-bedside training in translational research. Fellows have the opportunity to learn about the latest developments in basic cancer research.
European centres of excellence serve as host institutes providing the necessary support to develop specific high-quality translational research projects in oncology, and helps fellows gain valuable international experience.
|Translational Research Fellowship||Currently closed for applications|
The Translational Research Fellowships are designed to:
- Provide training in translational research in European centres with an international reputation in the field
- Improve career development through collaboration with European institutions of excellence
- Provide the necessary support to develop specific high-quality translational research projects in oncology
Amount and duration
The fellow will receive 40,000€ for 1 year project.
The host institutes will receive 1,000€ to cover administration costs.
Second year prolongation, including additional 40,000€, upon request and subsequent approval. Download the request form
Please read the full Guidelines and Application Instructions for Research Fellowships before starting your application.
Applicants must satisfy all the below criteria:
- Be a Full or Junior ESMO member in good standing at the time of application – renew your membership here
- Be an oncologist with at least 1 year experience in medical, radiation or surgical oncology
- Be no older than 40 years at the time of application
- Be proficient in English
Application must include:
- Completed online application form
- Digital portrait photograph
- Detailed description of research project proposal including timeline
- Motivation letter, including project goals and how the acquired techniques will be used in the home institute/country
- Acceptance letter from the person responsible for the project at the host facility (mentor)
- Recommendation letter from the applicants’s department head at home institute
Application review process:
Applications are reviewed by the ESMO Fellowship and Award Committee which comprises leaders in the oncology field. The committee will evaluate and score all aspects of the application, and in particular focus on:
- The overall quality of the application
- Research project: the overall strategy, methodology, and proposed analyses of the research data and appropriateness to accomplish the specific aims within the grant term.
- Motivation letter
- The extent and level of previous education
- Other professional training and publications
- Feasibility of the project given the time frame and the budget
Applicants with the highest score will be awarded the fellowship.
The applicant’s supervisors in both the host and home institute should preferably be Full ESMO members.
Important: All applications must be submitted in English; incomplete applications will not be accepted; applicants will be notified about the result approximately one month to six weeks after the application deadline.