Palliative Care Fellowships
An important facet of oncology: easing the physical and mental suffering of cancer patients. Fellows spend an intensive period of observation and/or research at one of the ESMO Designated Centres of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care.
|Palliative Care Fellowships||1 June 2015|
The Palliative Care Fellowships are designed to:
- Provide oncologists or oncology fellows additional experience in palliative care training
- Allow recipients to spend a minimum of one month of observation or research at one of the ESMO Designated Centres of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care.
Amount and duration
Palliative Care Research Fellowship
5000€ for one to three months research at an ESMO Designated Centre of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care
Palliative Care Observation Fellowship
2500€ for a minimum of one month observation at an ESMO Designated Centre of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care
- Be a Full or Junior ESMO member in good standing at the time of application – renew your membership here
- Be an oncologist
- Be proficient in English
Application must include:
- Completed application form
- Digital photograph
- Detailed project proposal (including timeline and budget of the proposed observation/research programme)
- Brief statement of project objectives and how the acquired techniques will be used in the home institute/country
- Name of host institute and acceptance letter from the person responsible for the project at the host facility
- Letter of recommendation from the candidate's department head
Application review process
Applications for the Palliative Care Fellowship are reviewed by the ESMO Palliative Care Working Group, which comprises experts in the field of supportive and palliative care. The working group will select the recipients after evaluating and scoring all aspects of the applications.
- The extent and level of previous education (CV)
- Motivation letter
- Other professional training
- Quality of the application
- How the acquired information and knowledge will be used in the home institute
The Committee will evaluate each applicant taking into consideration the above irrespective of race, sex, nationality, or religious/political views.
The candidate's supervisors in both the host and home institute should preferably be Full ESMO members.