Abstract submission is now open
Outcome notifications are expected to be made available to first authors by mid-March 2022.
Abstract submission deadlines
15 February 2022, 21:00 CET (Central European Time)
Final submission deadline 5 April 2022*, 21:00 CEST (Central European Summer Time)
*A skeleton indicating the type of data that will be available by the late-breaking abstract deadline must be submitted online by the regular abstract deadline 15 February 2022.
Final versions must be submitted by Tuesday, 5 April 2022 at 21:00 CEST (Central European Summer Time).
Abstract Submission Categories
- Biomarkers and translational research and precision medicine
- Early breast cancer: Adjuvant therapy
- Early breast cancer: Neoadjuvant therapy
- Early breast cancer: Surgery and radiotherapy
- Early detection, hereditary breast cancer and prevention
- Metastatic breast cancer
- Supportive care and survivorship
Late-breaking abstracts may be submitted for high quality, new research findings with implications for clinical practice or understanding of disease processes. The work must not have been previously published in any publication in a peer review setting or presented at a meeting of any other scientific organisation prior to ESMO Breast Cancer 2022.
Only abstracts for which no conclusive data are available at the time of the abstract submission deadline of 15 February 2022 will be considered for late-breaking status.
Trial in Progress abstracts
Trial in Progress (TiP) abstracts in all phases of clinical research (phases I to III) may be submitted to ESMO Breast Cancer 2022.
It is expected that abstracts submitted as Trial in Progress are ongoing trials that have not reached any protocol-specified endpoints for analysis and consequently will only require the completion of two (2) sections:
- Trial design
- Recruitment must have already begun or have been completed by the abstract submission deadline of 15 February 2022.
- Abstracts including results or preliminary data will be rejected.
- Authors of ‘encore’ TiP abstract submissions must supply information regarding the original presentation, indicating the name of the meeting and publication number. The first author will be responsible for obtaining, and, upon request, showing proof that written permission has been obtained from the copyright holder of the original abstract publication(s).
- Trial in Progress abstracts will be accepted for Poster outcome only.
Publication schedule of accepted abstracts
- Abstracts accepted for presentation during ESMO Breast Cancer 2022 (Proffered Paper, Mini Oral and Poster) and for publication in the ESMO Breast Cancer 2022 Abstract Book, will be published online on the ESMO Breast Cancer 2022 website on Monday, 2 May 2022.
- Late-breaking abstracts (LBA) accepted for presentation during ESMO Breast Cancer 2022 will be made public on the day of presentation during the official ESMO Breast Cancer 2022 Programme.
- Abstracts and LBAs selected for the official ESMO Breast Cancer 2022 Press Programme will be available 10 days before the Congress.
Abstracts accepted as:
2 May 2022, 12:00 Central European Summer Time (CEST).
Late-breaking abstracts (prefix ‘LBA’)
At the start of the official Congress session during which they are presented
Abstracts and LBAs selected for the official ESMO Press Programme (additional suffix ‘PR’)
ESMO Press Programme and related abstract publication schedule, will be available 10 days before the Congress.
Presentation of accepted abstracts
The Breast Cancer 2022 Scientific Committee will select abstracts for presentation during the Congress and determine the format of the presentations from the following possibilities:
- Proffered Paper (oral presentation) – Oral presentations by authors presenting original data of superior quality, followed by expert discussion and perspectives.
- Mini oral – Short presentation by the authors with comment and interactive audience discussion led by an invited expert.
- Poster – An important method for communicating details of scientific research, posters will be on display for the duration of the Congress.
All accepted abstracts will be published as a supplement to the official ESMO journal Annals of Oncology.
A restricted number of travel grants to the ESMO Breast Cancer Congress 2022 are available, upon application, to first author (= presenter) of candidates under the age of 40 who submit abstracts considered deserving of recognition. Selection will be made by the ESMO Breast Cancer 2022 Scientific Committee on a competitive basis from among the accepted abstracts.
The application for an ESMO Travel Grant must be completed during the abstract submission process. Applicants will be required to reply to the following questions:
- How relevant to your current practice are the topics presented at this Congress?
- Have you attended any event on a similar topic in the last 3 years?
- How will attendance at this Congress help with your professional development?
- How can your abstract contribute to the topics covered at this Congress?
- Have you recently been awarded an ESMO Award/Travel Grant? If yes, for which event?
And to provide the following documents:
- A copy of the submitted abstract (NOTE: The applicant must be the first and presenting author)
- A readable photocopy of either identity card or passport
- A short curriculum vitae (max. 2 pages)
ESMO will provide the recipients with a subsidised travel ticket, subsidised accommodation and Congress registration.
Only abstract submissions made in the ESMO categories will be considered for an ESMO Travel Grant.
Travel grant recipients must submit a report detailing the benefits of participating in ESMO Breast Cancer Congress 2022 by 6 June 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.