The abstract submission will open soon
Abstract Submission Deadlines
Wednesday, 5 May 2021
*Tuesday, 17 August 2021
* A preliminary abstract indicating the data expected to be available by the LBA deadline must be submitted online by 5 May 2021 as an “intent to submit a late-breaking abstract”.
Outcome notifications are expected to be made available to first authors by 20 July 2021.
- Basic science
- Biliary tract cancer, incl. cholangiocarcinoma
- Biomarkers (agnostic)
- Breast cancer, early stage
- Breast cancer, locally advanced
- Breast cancer, metastatic
- CNS tumours
- Colorectal cancer
- Developmental therapeutics
- Endocrine tumours
- General interest
- Genitourinary tumours, prostate
- Genitourinary tumours, non-prostate
- Gynaecological cancers
- Haematological malignancies
- Head and neck cancer, excluding thyroid
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)
- Investigational immunotherapy
- Melanoma and other skin tumours
- Neuroendocrine tumours
- New diagnostic tools
- NSCLC, early stage
- NSCLC, locally advanced
- NSCLC, metastatic
- Oesophagogastric cancer
- Palliative care
- Pancreatic cancer
- Public policy
- SARS-CoV-2 and cancer
- Supportive care
- Thoracic malignancies, other
- Thyroid cancer
- Translational research (agnostic)
- Tumour biology and pathology
- Cancer nursing: Digital innovations in health
- Cancer nursing: Palliative and end-of-life care
- Cancer nursing: Patient and occupational safety
- Cancer nursing: Health promotion, prevention and screening
- Cancer nursing: Supportive care and symptom management
- Cancer nursing: Roles and leadership
- Cancer nursing: SARS-CoV-2 and cancer
- Cancer nursing: Ethics in cancer care
Late-breaking abstracts (LBA)
Late-breaking abstracts may be submitted for high quality, new research findings from randomised phase II or phase III trials with implications for clinical practice or understanding of disease processes.
Only abstracts for which no conclusive data are available at the time of the abstract submission deadline of 5 May 2021 will be considered for late-breaking status. The work must not have been previously published in any publication in a peer review setting or presented at a meeting of any other scientific organisation prior to the ESMO 2021, and a pre-planned analysis must be scheduled between the regular submission deadline of 5 May 2021 and the late-breaking submission deadline of 17 August 2021.
The final late-breaking abstract deadline of 17 August 2021 is under no circumstances to be considered as an extension of the general submission deadline.
A preliminary abstract indicating the data expected to be available by the late-breaking abstract deadline must be submitted online by 5 May 2021 as an “intent to submit a late-breaking abstract”. The preliminary abstract must include the title, first author with full contact details and Declaration of Interest, background, methods, expected results and expected conclusions.
The ESMO 2021 Scientific Committee will review the “intent to submit late-breaking abstract” and will determine if the study can be identified as potential late-breaking abstract.
First authors receiving a positive outcome of this review will be required to submit online the entire abstract, including final author string, results and conclusions plus any table (if applicable) by the late-breaking abstract deadline (17 August 2021).
Trial in progress abstracts
Trial in Progress (TiP) abstracts in all phases of clinical research (phases I to III) may be submitted to ESMO 2021.
It is expected that abstracts submitted as Trial in Progress are ongoing trials that have not reached any protocol-specified endpoints for analysis and consequently will only require the completion of two (2) sections: Background and Trial design.
- Recruitment must have already begun or have been completed by the abstract submission deadline of 5 May 2021.
- Abstracts including results or preliminary data will be rejected.
- Trial in Progress abstracts can be accepted for Poster presentation only.
- Encore TiP abstracts will not be accepted.
Presentation and publication of accepted abstracts
The ESMO 2021 Scientific Committee will select abstracts for presentation during the Congress based on the following possibilities:
- Presidential Symposium – Oral presentations by authors presenting cutting-edge and significant clinical practice-changing studies, followed by expert discussion and perspectives.
- Proffered Paper – Oral presentations by authors presenting original data of superior quality, followed by expert discussion and perspectives.
- Mini Oral – Short oral presentations by authors presenting data of good quality, followed by expert discussion and perspectives.
- Poster – Display session for review, discussion and questions. The presenting authors must be available for Q&A to represent their work.
Publication schedule for accepted abstracts
The publication schedule for accepted abstracts will be released in due course.