These terms and conditions refer to your membership of the European Society for Medical Oncology, a Swiss-based not-for-profit corporation, referred interchangeably hereinafter as “ESMO” or “the Society”.
ESMO reserves the right to unilaterally change these terms and conditions at any time without advance notice.
1. Applying for Membership
- 1.1. Applications for membership will be accepted from any individual who is an oncology professional or is a medical or science undergraduate student and eligible for membership in any way recognised by the Society as detailed in the ESMO bylaws.
- 1.2. When submitting an application for membership, you are confirming that you are a healthcare professional involved in cancer care, research or advocacy, and agree to adhere to these terms and conditions and the bylaws of the Society. You are also providing us with the appropriate consent to handle your personal information according to our ESMO Privacy & Data Security Policy.
- 1.3. When submitting your application, you are making a request to subscribe to ESMO which, if accepted by us (if you fulfil the acceptance criteria), will result in you receiving a request for payment. Once payment is received, your membership will then be immediately activated for the period that you have purchased. At the point of renewal of your membership, your payment is confirmation of your continued acceptance of the membership terms and conditions in place at the time of your payment.
- 1.4. The ESMO membership is personal and fees are for individual membership only. You may not transfer any of your rights and obligations under these terms and conditions to another individual, entity or organisation.
- 1.5. If you are eligible for membership, your membership will be activated after acceptance of your application and upon receipt of payment of the membership fee. Notification of acceptance will be received at the email address you provided at the time of application.
- 1.6. You will be asked to confirm that information provided at the time of your membership application is true. We may ask you to provide us with additional proof to confirm that you meet the requirements to join the Society; if you are unable to provide such proof, we may at our sole discretion reject your application.
- 1.7. Your application may need to be reviewed by the Membership Committee, who will endeavour to provide a response within 14 working days of receipt of application. The Membership Committee has the right to accept or reject an application.
- 1.8. If you are undergoing a formal review of your professional conduct, then we may have to put your application on hold until the matter is resolved. It does not mean that your application will be subsequently unsuccessful.
- The Society retains the right to refuse applications for membership but will offer the opportunity to appeal the decision.
- 1.9. ESMO retains the right to amend its membership categories, benefits and criteria at its sole discretion, without prior notice, at any time. The details of any such amendments will be published on the ESMO website. Please refer to the Membership section.
- 1.10. ESMO retains the right to suspend or cancel an existing membership if this does not fit the current and most updated eligibility criteria or following a breach of these Terms and Conditions. ESMO also retains the right to change a member’s type and category without prior notice.
- 1.11 Once your membership is active, you will be receiving our ESMO newsletter as well as updates in your areas and topics of interest, as they become available. If you do not wish to receive any of these communications, you can unsubscribe from the list at any time.
- 1.12 All ESMO members are visible in our Membership directory, which is available to facilitate the contact between members. If you do not wish for your name to be displayed in this directory, you can inform us and we will delete your name form the directory
2. Membership Dues
- 2.1. ESMO membership is valid for 12 month periods (365 days), membership is activated immediately upon receipt of payment. It is possible to pay in advance for additional membership periods (purchased in 12 monthly increments).
- 2.2. Once a member of the Society, the membership payment will be due at the end of the membership period, according to the deadline, and for as long as you remain a member. When your membership is due for expiry, you will receive a notification either via postal mail (if specifically requested) and/or email with a request for payment of the membership fee. You will receive email notifications reminding you about your renewal date before your membership expires, a notification about your membership being deactivated in event renewal is not made in due time, and subsequent notifications reminding you to reactivate your membership. You will continue to be solicited for membership payment unless you inform us that you wish to resign from the Society - please refer to Section 5. The decision to not renew your membership does not mean that you have resigned as a member of the Society but will result in your not having access to member benefits and not being recognised as an ESMO member.
- 2.3. ESMO retains the right to change the membership fees, the membership fees will be listed on the membership pages of esmo.org. Emails will also be sent informing about any change in fee.
- 2.4. If renewal is not made by the due date, all the benefits connected to the membership will be automatically suspended. Membership will be reactivated only upon receipt of the due membership fee. During the period of the suspension, members are not entitled to access to any of the benefits, including the online tools and will not be recognised as a member of ESMO.
- 2.5. ESMO retains the right to change the definition and eligibility criteria for members in developing countries to pay for membership at a discounted rate. Currently, we define developing countries according to the World Bank classification of low, lower-middle and upper-middle countries based on the Gross National Income (GNI) per capita and calculated using the World Bank Atlas method. There is a fee for low and lower-middle income countries and a slightly higher fee for those classified as upper-middle income countries. Please click here for full details.
- 2.6. ESMO retains the right to offer and/or change any promotional offers and special prices and will advertise this information. Please note that there may be special membership promotions that are only available onsite at events where ESMO is present with a stand. You can find out where ESMO will have a booth here.
- 2.7. Reciprocal Membership Agreements with national European medical oncology societies may be applicable, these agreements may provide for a reduction on the annual regular membership fee of 175 Euros and/or a facilitated membership approach for joining ESMO. Information about these agreements can be found here. Application of a reduced membership is subject to individual members having indicated membership to the Society at the time of application and being a member in good standing of the national society with whom the reciprocal agreement is made.
3. Membership benefits
All members have access to Annals of Oncology online, some members will also be eligible to receive the hard copy subscription. The hard copy subscription will be delivered to all eligible members by the publisher to the mailing address (i.e. delivery address) which will be set by default to your institution (place of work) address; you may however update/change your delivery address through your profile in the myESMO area at any time. Please be aware that this change will be implemented for the next delivery date following the change of address. You should also notify us of any address changes either by emailing us at (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by submitting an enquiry via your ESMO profile in the myESMO area.
- 3.1. You agree that ESMO is not responsible for delivery issues through the mailing system. You agree that ESMO will not be responsible for failure to deliver the journal or other such mailings. We reserve the right to dispose of incorrectly addressed envelopes and their contents without an obligation to refund your membership fee if they are returned to us. Any mail returned to ESMO will result in the mailing address being deactivated. Members are requested to ensure the addresses (postal and e-mail) including the delivery address listed within their profile are up-to-date in order to ensure delivery of any services delivered by mail.
- 3.2. ESMO is not liable to you for any delay in delivery or non-delivery of journals in particular if such delay is due to circumstances beyond our control. Our liability to you in the event of journals being lost in dispatch shall, at our discretion, be limited to replacement of the missing issue(s).
4. Withdrawal and Reimbursement of Membership Fees
- 4.1. If we make an error in processing your membership payment resulting in fees being collected after cancellation of membership or an incorrect amount being charged, you may be eligible for a refund of the incorrectly processed fee.
- 4.2. Members have the possibility to waive their membership within 14 (fourteen) days starting from the membership activation date. The membership fee will be reimbursed to the member but EUR 25.00 (twenty five) for administrative costs will be deducted. No membership fees will be reimbursed after this 14-day period.
- 4.3. Overpayments lower than 20.00 EUR will not be refunded.
5. Termination of Membership
- 5.1. If you no longer wish to be a member, you can cancel your membership at any time by writing to ESMO at least one month before the membership renewal date. Membership will be terminated at the end of the paid membership period; ESMO will not refund any fees already paid for. If the membership has already expired, membership will be terminated immediately and we will remove you from any membership mailing lists. Decision to not renew membership does not mean that you have terminated your membership (refer to point 2.2 above).
5.2. Membership will be terminated if:
- You do not adhere to the terms and conditions of membership;
- You no longer meet the criteria for membership of the Society;
- You are involved in any activity or demonstrate behaviour which the Membership Committee and/or Executive Board deems to be harmful to the reputation of the Society; or
- The information you provided us is later discovered to be incorrect or not truthful
6. Membership Certificate
- 6.1. The Membership Certificate is available upon request to the ESMO membership department.
- 6.2. The Membership Certificate is a testament that you are a member of the Society and is not an endorsement or proof of your good professional standing and does not entitle you to special privileges other than those available to you through the membership category to which you belong.
7. Society’s Obligations to Members
- 7.1. As a member with voting rights, you will receive communications from the Society informing you of information related to the General Assembly. Please see the ESMO Bylaws.
- 7.2. ESMO will ensure products and services offered to members are relevant to the medical oncology profession and are accessible to members.
- 7.4. ESMO will keep you informed and updated about the Society and any changes that might affect your membership rights.
- 7.5. ESMO will stand by any promise, offer or promotion we make available to you during the course of your membership.
- 8.1. From time to time, ESMO may change, suspend or withdraw any services, privileges or offers without warning and at its sole discretion. Members will be notified of any such changes via the ESMO website and Society communications, such changes will be effective as soon as they are published.
- 8.2. If any provision in these terms and conditions conflict with terms in the bylaws of ESMO, the provisions in the bylaws shall control.
- 8.3. These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Switzerland without giving effect to its choice of law principles. The courts of Lugano shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any dispute arising out of or in connection with these terms and conditions.
Last update: 2 June 2016