ESMO is pleased to present a new ESMO Patient Guide in Biliary Tract Cancer, an important new edition in our Patient Guide Series.
Reflecting state-of-the-art and key recent developments in the field, this new ESMO Patient Guide in Biliary Tract Cancer delivers the following information:
- Background information on the biliary tract and the normal function of the gallbladder and bile ducts
- Introduction to the terminology of biliary tract cancer and the three types of cancer that are included in this classification (cholangiocarcinoma, gallbladder cancer and ampullary cancer), as well as the sub-classification of cholangiocarcinoma
- Symptoms, epidemiology and risk factors for biliary tract cancer
- Examinations, tests and scans used to diagnose and stage biliary tract cancer
- Treatment options for each type of biliary tract cancer, covering surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy
- Clinical trials and advances in cancer treatment research due to molecular profiling
- Additional support including dietary interventions, stenting and palliative care
- A summary of possible side effects of treatment and how they can be managed
- Follow-up care after treatment for biliary tract cancer
Production of this new title represents a new milestone in our work on the ESMO Patient Guide series which now includes over 25 guides. We are looking forward to translation possibilities through the kind support of national medical associations and patient advocacy organisations. The availability of translations in languages spoken across continents ensures the guides are well received in many countries worldwide. We welcome support for the translation and dissemination of this new guide. To express an interest in providing a translation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This guide has been developed and reviewed by an editorial board composed of:
- Representatives of the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO): Juan Valle; Erika Martinelli; Claire Bramley; Svetlana Jezdic; Anna Carta; Jennifer Lamarre; and Jean-Yves Douillard
- Representative of AMMF – The Cholangiocarcinoma Charity: Helen Morement
- Representative of the European Cancer Patient Coalition (ECPC): Kallirroi Pavlakou.