This policy is aimed at regulating the participation of media representatives at ESMO events
ESMO welcomes media interested in reporting from the ESMO events and on cancer issues in general. Media representatives are required to observe and abide by the ESMO Media Policy, which applies to all ESMO events and communications activities
Embargo times vary for each ESMO event; specific embargo details will be published ahead of the event on the related event’s web page (Press & Media page). Individual press releases (and any related document) will include the embargo details.
IMPORTANT: Data and information beyond what is included in the accepted abstract (including the abstracts selected for the official ESMO Press Programme), i.e. full data sets, is embargoed until and can be made public at the start of the official programme session during which the study is presented.
Journalists are required to observe and respect embargoes as indicated on each document; if publishing ESMO press releases, ESMO should be indicated as the source.
ESMO reserves the right to exclude any entity that fails to adhere to this policy from the current event, at its own complete cost, and from any future event.
Media representatives must register for ESMO events through an online form, available for each meeting at the specific press page. You can also request the form through firstname.lastname@example.org. Media registration in advance is strongly recommended. ESMO welcomes a maximum of three journalists and two camera crew members per media outlet.
A copy of a valid press card, an official letter of assignment as well as all supporting documents must be uploaded on to the registration system or printed and carried if the registration is performed onsite in coincidence with the ESMO event. Company, media outlet business cards or membership cards are not accepted as credentials.
The ESMO Press Office reserves the right to withhold approval of press registration if the applicant and/or the outlet do not satisfy the criteria for press registration or if the media registration form is sent without the requested supporting documents.
The ESMO Press Office reserves the right to ban from a current or future meeting any person who provides false information about their affiliation or credentials.
The decision of the ESMO Press Office is final regarding all press registration requests.
Media representatives who have pre-registered and are unable to attend the event they registered for, are kindly requested to inform the ESMO Press Office as soon as possible, thank you.
Eligibility criteria, access and facilities
Categories entitled to register as media
The PRESS badge, property of ESMO, is identified by a BLACK ribbon, is non-transferable and must be worn all times in the event venue.
ESMO will only accept letters of assignment by recognised trade and mainstream:
- Magazines, newspapers
- Peer-reviewed journals
- News agencies and newswire services
- Broadcast media (radio or TV)
- Web sites, newsletters, blogs, consistently publishing editorial news coverage, provided they are widely accessible with complete editorial independence and freedom from sponsors/advertisers.
Freelance journalists are required to submit all the above requested documents and in addition two bylined medical/health/science articles published within the previous six months as well as coverage from the previous year’s congress (if applicable).
Companies or organisations producing publications, videos and other products intended for educational purposes (without a commercial component) can request one Press badge for the actual reporter/editor/writer only.
The BLACK Press badge entitles the holder to:
- Access the ESMO Press Centre (including the ESMO Press Working Room and the ESMO Press Conference room, both available at selected events).
- Attend the official ESMO press conferences and press briefings, if relevant
- Attend all sessions in the official event programme
- Access the event webcasts
- Access the Filming Area (a dedicated space equipped with electrical sockets, internet access and other facilities), the Meeting Point (a specific and comfortable waiting space located within the Filming Area) and the Interview Rooms (At selected events, private interview rooms will be available upon request, on a first-come, first-served basis. A booking system will only be available onsite in the ESMO Press Centre - pre-booking not permitted: use of interview rooms is regulated in half-hour increments. This service will not be available at smaller events.)
Photographers or camera crew members accompanying approved media representatives can obtain a Press Filming Crew Pass (with a BLACK and an additional BROWN identification ribbons) upon completion of the media registration form. Photographers and camera crew members will not have access to embargoed material.
Filming crews with more than five (5) members are kindly asked to contact the ESMO Press Office before proceeding with the accreditation request in order to evaluate needs and logistical aspects.
The combination of BLACK and BROWN (Press plus Filming) ribbons entitles the holder to:
- Access the Filming Area (a dedicated space equipped with electrical sockets, internet access and other facilities), the Meeting Point (a specific and comfortable waiting space located within the Filming Area) and the Interview Rooms (At selected events, private interview rooms will be available upon request, on a first-come, first-served basis. A booking system will be available in the ESMO Press Centre: use of interview rooms is regulated in half-hour increments. This service will not be available at smaller events.)
- Attend the official ESMO press conferences and press briefings, if relevant, accompanying an accredited reporter/correspondent/editor/writer
- Attend all sessions in the official Congress programme
Information officers of academic institutions, scientific societies, registered medical research charities or patient advocacy groups can request one Public Affairs Officer badge (with a WHITE identification ribbon) provided they declare they plan to prepare and publish an official report from the ESMO event. A copy of the report from previous meetings should be forwarded together with the media registration request. A copy of the report from the meeting they are requesting accreditation for, must also be shared within 3 months after the event dates. Public Affair Officers will not have access to embargoed material
The WHITE Press badge entitles the holder to:
- Attend all sessions in the official event programme
- Access the event webcasts
- Access the Filming Area (a dedicated space equipped with electrical sockets, internet access and other facilities), the Meeting Point (a specific and comfortable waiting space located within the Filming Area) and the Interview Rooms (At selected events, private interview rooms will be available upon request, on a first-come, first-served basis. A booking system will be available in the ESMO Press Centre: use of interview rooms is regulated in half-hour increments. This service will not be available at smaller events).
Categories NOT entitled to register as media
Representatives engaged in the following are NOT entitled to register as media, even if they have a valid press card, but are welcome to register as regular participants:
- Public relations
- Advertising, communications and media agencies
- Sales and marketing
- Financial analysis
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Foundations, charities, philanthropic organisations
- Personal website (expressing personal opinions or not regularly writing about oncology)
- Sponsored journalists (providing a letter of assignment/invitation issued by a company) as well as Publishers are not entitled to get an official press badge.
Media activities organised by these entities must abide by the ESMO Policy on Media Activities Organised by Third Parties
Filming, audio recording and photography policy for accredited media representatives
Only camera crews duly accredited (see above) can attend press conferences and press briefings.
An official Filming Area is available for accredited filming crews (see above). Filming outside of the ESMO Filming Area is subject to authorisation by the ESMO Press Office.
A written request must be sent two weeks in advance to the ESMO Press Office (email@example.com). Requests will be approved on a case-by-case basis. Filming crews will have to be accompanied by an ESMO Press Office representative.
Video and audio recording of Congress sessions requires written authorisation from the ESMO Press Office, the session chair and the speaker being recorded, and is only possible for few minutes for news coverage purposes (commercial or education use of recordings is strictly forbidden).
Photography during sessions is allowed for personal and non-commercial use only, i.e. photos cannot be published or reproduced in any way. Photographing with flash is not allowed.
Use of logos
The “ESMO” logo is the property of ESMO and is protected by trademark. It must not be used, reproduced or associated with any event, article, website or press release without the prior written approval of ESMO.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
All matters arising from or connected with the compliance to the ESMO Media and Embargo Policy will be governed by Swiss Law, without reference to the conflict of laws principles. Any dispute arising out of this commitment shall be brought before the Court of Lugano, Switzerland
The present version of the ESMO Media Policy was last updated on 8 July 2019. ESMO reserves the right to modify this policy at any time without prior notice.
All inquiries must be submitted in writing
ESMO Press Office
Tel: +41 (0)91 973 55 71