ESMO encourages all delegates to travel to the Congress in the most sustainable way possible. We suggest train travel to Madrid where possible.
Train to ESMO
Are you interested in travelling to the ESMO Congress 2023 by train? You could play a part in making ESMO a more sustainable society.
The ESMO Climate Change Task Force is looking for one ESMO Member in each country willing to be an ESMO climate ambassador.
In this role you will:
- Help to coordinate travel plans to the ESMO Congress 2023 for delegates from your country who want to travel together to Madrid by train, including suggestions regarding itineraries/train times and, if relevant/practical, initiation of group bookings
- Coordinate or help to establish a national network to promote and share climate friendly practices
- Collaborate with the ESMO Climate Change Task Force and other ESMO Members to promote sustainability
- Share ideas to make ESMO a more sustainable society and to improve climate friendly practices within the oncology community
To apply please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and location and we will contact you with more details.
AVE (high speed trains) 5% discount
To make your train travel experience more convenient, our local housing agency Bco Congresos has arranged a discount on long-distance trains and high-speed AVE trains that arrive and/or depart from Madrid stations (Madrid Atocha, Madrid Chamartin and Madrid Puerta de Atocha) for all ESMO Congress delegates.
Please find the authorisation number and conditions in the following voucher.
Important: tickets bought with the discount are to be shown together with this voucher.
Please find some useful links below to book your train ticket online for journeys:
Please note that third-party links are provided for general informational purposes only. ESMO does not endorse or assume any responsibility for these external sites, information, materials, products, or services and shall not be liable for any damage or loss arising from your use of these websites. ESMO bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality, or content of the external websites.
Registered delegates* at the ESMO Congress 2023 will receive a free pass to the Madrid City Transportation System to easily travel to/from the Congress venue.
The public transport card covers all trips on all means of transport within the central, metropolitan area (Zona A), including both IFEMA Madrid and Madrid Airport.
ESMO would like to thank Bco Congresos for supporting this important sustainability initiative.
*Excluding registrations for students, exhibitors, private meetings, industry symposia, filming crews and daily tickets
How to reach the ESMO Congress 2023 venue
IFEMA Madrid can be reached as follows:
The venue can be reached by taxi:
- From Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport: many taxi spots available
- From Atocha train station: taxi station at the train station’s surroundings
We suggest specifying to the taxi driver IFEMA South Access as drop-off point.
The nearest Metro station to IFEMA is “Feria de Madrid”, Línea 8 (direction Nuevos Ministerios-Aeropuerto T4). The exit is opposite IFEMA’s South Access.
- Línea 73: Diego de León – IFEMA Madrid
- Línea 112: Mar de Cristal – Barrio del Aeropuerto
- Línea 122: Avenida de América – IFEMA Madrid
Health and Safety
It is each participant’s responsibility to check and comply with the latest health and travel regulations to ensure a smooth and safe journey from the Country of origin to the event venue, and back.
During the event, ESMO will apply health and safety protocols according to the latest local authority guidelines and regulations.
In general, ESMO recommends
- To apply precautions and measures according to formal guidance and personal medical history
- To stay up-to-date with the vaccination status
- To perform a Rapid Antigen Test and wear a mask in case of symptoms
Hand sanitisers will be available throughout the venue; use of mask is at own discretion in the absence of symptoms.