Take a look at our event announcement and find out what to expect during 5 intense days of new data, lectures and discussions.
- ESMO Congress 2023 Sets Strong Impulses for a Better Future in Oncology
- ESMO Manifesto - Translating Scientific Evidence Into Effective Public Health Policy
- The Right to be Forgotten: ESMO Calls on EU Countries to Ensure Equal Financial Rights for Cancer Survivors
- Air Pollution and Breast Cancer Risk - A Link That Calls for Political Action
- Advances in Gynaecological Cancer Research Could Change the Treatment Landscape
- Lung Cancer Treatment Research Enters a New Era
- The Potential of AI to Improve Cancer Care is Only Going to Grow
ESMO welcomes Press Representatives interested in obtaining information and reporting on cancer issues. Accreditation is free to Press Representatives working for ESMO-Recognised Press Outlets on presentation of a letter of assignment and a valid press card (if applicable). Press Representatives are required to observe and abide by the ESMO Policy on Press Activities which applies to all ESMO events.
To apply for press accreditation, please fill out the form available here:
Press accreditation in advance is strongly recommended, please, make sure to submit your request for accreditation before Monday, 16 October 2023.
ESMO Opening Press Conference
The ESMO Congress 2023 Opening Press Conference will be held onsite in the ESMO Press Conference Room located in SCC South Convention Center (level 1) on Friday, 20 October, 10:30-11:15 CEST. Access will be granted to both accredited Press Representatives attending in-person and to accredited Press Representatives attending remotely.
Relevant congress highlights, the relationship between pollution and cancer risks and the resilience of the healthcare system, will be the topics explored in depth at the ESMO 2023 Opening Press Conference.
- Andrés Cervantes, INCLIVA – Biomedical Research Institute, Spain – ESMO President
- Silke Gillessen, Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland (IOSI), Switzerland – ESMO 2023 Scientific Chair
- Jean-Yves Blay, Centre Léon Bérard, France – ESMO Director for Public Policy
- Angela Lamarca, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz University Hospital, Spain - ESMO 2023 Press Officer
Data and information included in abstracts discussed during the ESMO Opening Press Conference is under embargo until the relevant embargo release date cited in the schedule below.
Data and information beyond abstracts discussed during the ESMO Opening Press Conference, e.g., full data sets, may only be made public at the start of the official programme session during which the study is presented.
ESMO Daily Press Briefings
ESMO Daily Press Briefings will provide accredited Press Representatives with the opportunity to collect independent reviews on the studies that will be presented during the Presidential Sessions.
This will be done through the independent commentaries of international experts whose task will be to provide a contextual overview for the results of the studies that will be disclosed later in the day.
ESMO Daily Press Briefings will be held on Saturday 21 October 2023, Sunday 22 October 2023 and Monday 23 October 2023 from 12:30 to 13:15 CEST in the Press Conference Room located in SCC South Convention Center (level 1). Access will be granted to accredited Press Representatives attending in-person; remote access will not be made available.
All ESMO Daily Press Briefings are held under embargo.
Data and information included in LBAs discussed during the ESMO Daily Press Briefings is under embargo until 00:05 CEST on Thursday, 19 October 2023.
Data and information beyond LBAs discussed during the ESMO Daily Press Briefings, e.g., full data sets, may only be made public at the start of the official programme session during which the study is presented.
ESMO Daily Press Briefings day/time
Marina Garassino, University of Chicago Department of Medicine, USA
Elene Mariamizde, Todua Clinic, Georgia
Laura Locati, IRCCS Milano, Italy
Benjamin Besse, Institut Gustave Roussy, France
Andrea Borghese Apolo, National Cancer Institute, USA
Angela Lamarca, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz University Hospital, Spain - ESMO 2023 Press Officer
Krishnansu Sujata Tewari, UC Irvine Medical Center, USA
Clara Montagut Viladot, Hospital del Mar, Spain
Sarat Chandarlapaty, MSKCC, USA
Paweł Sobczuk, Maria Sklodowska-Curie National Research Institute of Oncology, Poland
Christopher Sweeney, The University of Adelaide, Australia
Zofia Piotrowska, Massachusetts General Hospital, USA
Publication schedule for accepted abstracts
- All regular abstracts accepted for presentation at ESMO Congress 2023 as Proffered Paper (suffix O), Mini Oral (suffix MO), Poster (suffix P or TiP) EONS Proffered Paper and EONS Posters (prefix CN), will be published online via the ESMO website at 00:05 CEST on Monday, 16 October 2023.
- All Late-breaking abstracts accepted for presentation at ESMO Congress 2023 as Proffered Paper or Mini Oral (prefix LBA) will be published online via the ESMO website at 00:05 CEST on Thursday, 19 October 2023.
- 238MO will be published online via the ESMO website at 00:05 CEST on Friday, 20 October 2023.
Data and information included in accepted abstracts is under embargo until the relevant embargo release date cited in the schedule above.
Data and information beyond what is included in the accepted abstracts, e.g., full data sets, may only be made public at the start of the official programme session during which the study is presented.
Third party media activities
Media activities initiated by Third Parties during or in connection with the event are subject to the ESMO Policy on Third-Party Media Activities which aims to guarantee proper and correct distribution of oncology and cancer-related information to Press Representatives in connection with the congress. Such media activities include (but are not limited to):
- Meetings such as press conferences, media briefings and educational sessions involving Press Representatives
- PR activities, such as press releases, news, articles, interviews, etc.
Media events concomitant with/or during breaks of the scientific programme of the event are subject to ESMO’s approval.
Please submit your request by contacting the ESMO Communications Department at email@example.com.
During Blackout times any media events initiated by third parties is not allowed.
PLEASE NOTE: Third Parties press releases are not affected by Blackout times but must respect Embargo and official Programme rules.
- Friday, 20 October 2023, 11:00 - 18:00 CEST
- Saturday, 21 October 2023, 08:00 - 18:30 CEST
- Sunday, 22 October 2023, 08.00 - 18:30 CEST
- Monday, 23 October 2023, 08.00 - 18:30 CEST
- Tuesday, 24 October 2023, 08.00 - 13:00 CEST
According to the ESMO Policy on Press Activities, press badges may only be assigned to Press Representativess working for ESMO-Recognised Press Outlets. Should communication agencies or companies representatives require a badge for the purpose of preparing and/or developing Third Party media events, please send an email to both ESMO Registration (firstname.lastname@example.org) and ESMO Communications (email@example.com) to purchase a dedicated badge. This badge only allows access to the room where Third Party Media Activities are taking place. Full details are available in the ESMO Policy on Third-Party Media Activities.
Press Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Media activities organised by Third Parties: email@example.com
Filming activities: firstname.lastname@example.org