The Young Oncologist (YO) Track Sessions are specially designed by young oncologists for young oncologists and initiated by the ESMO Young Oncologist Committee (YOC).
The sessions are educational and cover topics which are highly relevant to YOs in their daily practice and/or research activities.
YO Track sessions are always very popular and well attended, and for good reasons: not only do attendees acquire a deeper knowledge on key aspects, but the sessions also provide attendees with a platform for networking with other oncology professionals.
Here below, you can find the overview of the 2022 YO Track which includes practical tips, information and take-home messages from other young oncologists, those who have recently walked the career path you are on now, and senior key opinion leaders.
Dear young oncologists,
The time has finally come to meet you all in real life. After 2 years of virtual meetings and physical distance, I am thrilled with the opportunity to see you all in Paris, and to celebrate with you the science that we have been doing, despite all the challenges. This is also the time to celebrate the virtual friendships and connections in real life, and to boost all the networking that we have been building with so much passion. If there has been a community that has excelled in all the challenges brought to us during this pandemic it was the young oncologists community.
The 2022 YO track was designed to bring you all the topics that you told us were important for you and your career. We will have excellent panelist in all our sessions. These are KOL that have shown what they can do in science and for science but have also showed that they are a voice in the Oncology community that the YO should hear. Why? Because they can combine excellence with proximity and experience with wisdom. They are KOL but they also want to know about you and help you boost your career in the best way possible. I am sure that you will not miss this opportunity to connect with them. The YOC members will be involved in all these activities, not only leading and boosting the discussion during the presentations, but also giving presentations themselves on topics that are so dear and close to the YO community. Besides, we will be available for you to engage with us during the entire congress, so take your chance to meet us, after the sessions or whenever you see us around. The mission of the YOC is to help you, and your feedback is our most valuable tool. Use it!
Below we have a sneak peek of what you can expect from the 2022 ESMO YOC track! I am sure you will enjoy it. See you all in Paris at the YOC sessions.
YO Mentorship Session: Your Choice of Career Path in Oncology
Friday 9 September 2022, 14.00-15.30 Hal 7.3 - Lyon
(Limited seats: first come, first serve)
Key opinion leaders will share their experience and vision, both professional and personal, in an informal setting, encouraging open conversation with mentors and peers. Seats are limited and this year we will have a first come first served policy. Don’t lose this unique opportunity.
- Table 1: Clinical Oncology – Matteo Lambertini, IT; Aleix Prat, ES
- Table 2: Clinical Oncology – Elisabeth Connolly, AUS; Sofia Braga, PT
- Table 3: Translational Research – Alexios Matikkas, SE; Samra Turajlic, UK
- Table 4: Translational Research – Maria Kfoury, FR; Benedickt Westphalen, DE
- Table 5: Becoming and early phase trial oncologist –Rille Pihlak, UK; Natalie Cook, UK
- Table 6: The role of the clinician-scientist – Rodrigo Sánchez-Bayona, ES; Elena Elez, ES
- Table 7: The role of the clinician-scientist – Jonathan Lim, UK; César Serrano, ES
- Table 8: Policy making and public health - Elene Mariamidze, GE; Andre Ilbawi, CH
Friday, 9 September 2022, 17.30-18.30 - Networking Hub
The Vesalius Talk is an excellent opportunity for a direct discussion between young oncologists and key opinion leaders in the field of medical oncology. The 2022 Vesalius Talk will discuss how young oncologists can start their career abroad. The audience will have the opportunity to ask live for practical advice from the panel. A major opportunity to learn from those that have started abroad and to ask all the questions you never had the chance to ask. The session will be followed by networking and refreshments.
Starting a career abroad: broadening your scientific horizon
Moderators: Elene Mariamidze, GE; Maria Kfoury; FR Teresa Amaral, DE
Peter Vuylsteke, BWA/BE
Marina Garassino, US
Alexandra Leary, FR
Tony Mok, HK
YO Boxing Session
Saturday, 10 September 2022, 08.30-09.30 - room 7.3.R- Rennes
In the time of growing knowledge, it is important to encourage the active debating of new findings. The aim of the YO “boxing” session is therefore to discuss controversial topics in oncology and thereby encourage young oncologists to discuss these topics with young and senior experts in the field. After the presentation of each point of view, the audience is encouraged to discuss and ask questions to the experts on the podium.
Chairs: Jonathan Lim, UK; Pawel Sobczuk, PL
Debate 1: Tumor mutional burden as a tumor agnostic biomarker?
Aurélien Marabelle, FR & Alfredo Addeo, CH
Debate 2: Medical oncology in 21st century – general or cancer type specialist?
Ahmad Awada, BE & Angela Lamarca, UK
YO Brunch Sessions
10,11,12 September 2022, 11.00-11.45, room 7.3.R- Rennes
Practical, personal and professional development tips for YOs during a late morning brunch slot (snack is provided J !). These sessions delivered in a relaxed and friendly environment with the opportunity to asks questions and enter a discussion, are extremely useful for YO and other interested attendees to learn about tried and tested approaches that can be adopted for improving their own academic careers.
- Saturday 10 September: How to integrate Patient Reported Outcomes in clinical practice Massimo Di Maio, IT; Claudia Cardone, IT
- Sunday 11 September: How to write and respond to a critical peer review, Pilar Garrido Lopez, ES; Matteo Lambertini, IT
- Monday 12 September: Molecular Tumor Board: A luxury or a necessity? Philippe Aftimos, BE; Christoph Oing, UK
YO Session for Medical Students and New Physicians
Saturday, 10 September 2022, 15:00-16:00, Hal 7.3 - Lyon
The programme includes a session especially dedicated to the ESMO-ESO Student Course on Medical Oncology, chaired by ESMO Educational Committee chair Andrés Cervantes. It starts off with practical information, for example, on how to better present/design your poster for a congress, and it is followed by a poster walk to view and comment on some of the posters presented at the congress. The limited available seats are distributed on first come, first serve basis.
- ESMO-ESO Medical Students Course - Andrés Cervantes, ES
- How to prepare and present your first poster at a congress – Pawel Sobczuk, PL
- Poster walk – Jonathan Lim, UK; Pawel Sobczuk, PL; Rodrigo Sánchez-Bayona, ES; Elisabeth Connolly, AUS; Maria Kfoury, FR
YO Fellowship Session - Fellowships in Europe: Educational Opportunities for Young Oncologists
Sunday 11 September 2022, 08.30-10.00, room 7.3.R- Rennes
The fellowship session features presentations by two previous ESMO fellows, who are chosen from a competition open to recent fellowship recipients. Practical advice from a former fellow, Angela Lamarca, UK and career-impact details from the ESMO Chair of Fellowship & Award Committee Evandro de Azambuja, BE, will add to the detailed overview of available ESMO Fellowship and the ESMO Leaders Generation Programme. The 2020, 2021 and 2022 research fellowships awardees, the new José Baselga Fellowship for Clinician Scientist, and the Best Exam Award 2019 and 2021 will be presented at the end of the session.
Sunday 11 September 2022, 14.45-17.45, room 7.3.R- Rennes
The YO Masterclass is the highlight of the YO track, tackling timely questions in a very practical way. This year it features international speakers discussing a major questions - the clinical trials design and development in the 21st Century.
Clinical Trials Design and Development in the 21st Century
Chairs: Teresa Amaral, DE; Anna Berghoff, AT
- What is a well-designed clinical trial? Nadia Harbeck DE
- Addressing inequality in under-served populations in clinical trials, Elene Garralda, ES
Infrastructure and policies for global clinical trials: opportunities and threats, Carlos Gomez-Roca, FR
- How does the marketing authorization process work? Francesco Pignatti, IT
Monday 12 September 2022, 08:30-10:00, room 7.3.R- Rennes
This year, the Forum will explore what it takes to go on a research journey. Participants will have the chance to learn and ask questions about grant writing, time management, and how to build a research team. The speakers are well known colleagues that will be more than happy to clarify all your burning questions. Don’t miss this opportunity to engage with the YOC.
Going on a Research Journey: from grant writing, over PhD to team management
Chairs: Alexios Matikas, SE; Kevin Punie, BE
- How to write a grant application, Joaquin Mateo, ES
- Effective time management, Rille Pihlak, UK
- How to move between PhD and Medical Oncology, Anna Berghoff, AT
- How to build and manage a research team in a competitive environment, Teresa Amaral, DE
YO Clinical Case Discussion: Discussion Forum for Young Oncologists
Monday 12 September 2022, 16:00-17:00 Hal 7.3 - Lyon
(Limited seats, first come first serve)
This is a highly interactive round table discussion on clinical cases on solid tumours, for a small group of attendees. The expert speakers in each of the 3 topics present scenarios and guide the discussion along with a YOC member coordinator. Seats are limited for this session which will be introduced by the session YOC coordinators. This year we will have a first come first served policy, so don’t miss this chance to have your practical questions answered by KOL.
- topic 1: Admission of a critically ill cancer patient to the ICU, Christoph Oing; UK and Michael Von Bergwelt, DE
- topic 2: Breast cancer in pregnancy, Kevin Punie, BE; Lucia Del Mastro, IT
- topic 3: Genetic Counselling, Claudia Cardone, IT; Gareth Evans, UL
- topic 4: Breast Cancer, Alexios Matikas, SE; Mafalda Oliveira, ES