The ESMO Designated Centres (DC) accreditation programme, initiated in 2003, recognises cancer centres that provide highly integrated oncology and palliative care services, with the goal of improving research, education and clinical practice by setting standards for service development.
The Programme objectives include:
- Promoting the integration of palliative care services into the existing national cancer care guidelines
- Encouraging palliative care education and training for medical oncologists as well as other healthcare professionals
- Expanding the cooperation between ESMO and other existing professional medical associations and organisations worldwide in supporting and sustaining palliative care development
To become an ESMO Designated Centre you will need to fulfill all 13 criteria, which are based on recommendations from the World Health Organization guidelines on the provision of palliative care for patients with cancer:
- The criteria reflect the issues of integration (criteria 1-2)
- Credentialing (criteria 3-4)
- Service provision (criteria 5-11)
- Research (criteria 12)
- Education (criteria 13).
The complete list is included in the application form.
Who can apply and how to apply
Cancer centres which provide comprehensive services in supportive and palliative care as part of their routine care can apply to receive the ESMO recognition as an "ESMO Designated Centre of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care". The ESMO DCs accreditation is valid for three years and the centres can reapply.
How to apply
15 April 2022
Please note that:
- Any oncology department or cancer centre can apply
- Size is not important, to be eligible what matters are the quality and the extent of the integration of services.
- The centres corresponding physician must be an ESMO Member or apply before sending their application. Not a member? Apply for membership here.
- The Designated Centres Working Group may perform 'ad hoc visits' to accredited centers.
The centres receiving the certification will be entitled to:
- Use the subtitle, 'ESMO Designated Centre of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care'
- Use the ESMO logo in accordance with the ESMO Logo Policy (marketing/advertising related to the centre itself. No advertising of specific events)
- Be eligible to receive fellows in palliative medicine supported by ESMO grants