The International Cancer Institute Care and Research Centre (ICI-CRC) boosts of qualified Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) with over 20 years of experience in cancer control in sub-Saharan Africa. ICI-CRC HCPs include Oncology Nurses, Palliative Care Nurses, Oncology Clinical officers (equivalent of Physician assistants), Oncologists; Medical, Surgical, Radiation, gynecologic, Palliative care, patient navigators, data and community specialists among others. Our mission is to prevent and cure cancer through pioneering interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research, to translate new knowledge into better prevention and treatment, and to provide effective and compassionate clinical care that improves the lives of patients with cancer and their families. ICI is committed to excellence in research, dynamic partnerships between collaborating centers, laboratories and clinics, robust outreach and education throughout sub-Saharan Africa, while engaging in outstanding education and training programs for future cancer scientists and clinicians.
ICI-CRC has eight (8) key Offices which work interactively to ensure consistent integration of cancer care management across the patient's journey from awareness, community/facility-based cancer screenings, early detection, optimal diagnostics & therapies, palliative care, survivorship care and relevant research. The 8 offices are:
- Office of Administration-Provides overall management of ICI programs
- Office of Clinical Care- Provides patient-centered, evidence based standards of care treatments
- Office of Community Outreach and partnerships-Spearheads Integrated approach to Cancer and NCD control implementation strategy
- Office of Data & IT-Ensures proper data management, innovative data & IT solutions
- Office of Education & Training-offers relevant, up-to-date and essential cancer knowledge and skills for SSA's MDTs
- Office of Research- Conducts various studies from baseline community studies, investigator-initiated studies to multi-center Phase II and III Clinical trials
- Office of Prevention & Surveillance
- Office of Laboratory & Pathology For additional information visit www.intercancer.com
The centre integrates innovative approaches and sustainability measures in all its clinical, educational and research programs. Example: ICI Community Outreach & Partnership Programs To improve access to cancer care and early detection, ICI partners with over 15 counties, strategic partners and several countries in SSA to enhance screening for Breast, Cervical and Prostate cancers and improve the management of lung cancer, lymphomas, GI cancers and multiple myeloma (plus SCD and anti-coagulation). Annually we screen over 30,000 women for breast and cervical cancers and more than 1,000 men for prostate cancers with over 500 new cancer patients initiated into care. Integration of Hypertension and Diabetes in the screening programs is routinely done to mitigate NCD burden in the communities we serve. ICI partners with both governmental and NGOs i.e. Academic, Research, Professional, Societies, etc to ensure relevance, scale-ability and sustainability of the health care systems strengthening interventions and innovations co-created.
Palliative and Supportive Care
International Cancer Center -Care and Research Clinic (ICI-CRC) provides Integrated Oncology and Palliative Clinical Care services through:
- ICI strategic partners in Education and training on Palliative care as part of our integrated approach to Oncology and Palliative care to optimize patient care. Additionally, ICI holds an MDT through virtual tumor boards done twice weekly for all HCPs across Kenya and SSA.
- ICI has established and supports a wellness Center-this is a 15-bed hostel for cancer patients on active treatments who cannot travel back home in-between treatments due to a) poverty and b) living far-away from Eldoret. We provide them with palliative care needs, spiritual needs (for those who request), income generating activities' training in collaboration with an NGO called Creation Hive.