A powerful development tool that can help maximise your potential
The ESMO Virtual Mentorship is a 12-month programme designed by the ESMO Young Oncologists Committee with the aim of matching ESMO Young Oncologists with a Mentor who will provide help and guidance.
The ESMO Virtual Mentorship Programme offers the opportunity to be matched with an ESMO Key Opinion Leader who will provide 1:1 mentorship in an area important to your personal career development and where you have no access to a mentor who can advise you. Examples of areas to focus on could include, but not limited to:
- Skill development
- Career advice
- Advice on how to publish research
- Developing your research interests
- Burnout issues e.g. establishing a healthy work-life balance
- The Mentorship need and objective must be clear from the outset. Once matched with a mentor, the pair will agree the overall objective and agree a plan and goals for the 12 months.
- Mentees should take ownership when setting these goals, while mentors will encourage their mentees to break down their goals into manageable steps and action items
- The duration of the programme is 12 months
- The frequency of the interaction will be agreed together (it is recommended to connect once per month)
- Mentors and mentees must commit to meet face-to-face at the Annual ESMO Congress and where possible at other ESMO meetings too.
- Be an ESMO member age 40 or under at the time of application – renew your membership here
- Be a fully qualified Medical/Clinical Oncologist
- Be fluent in written and spoken English
- Demonstrate that they have a personal unmet mentoring need (no access to a mentor to guide them)
- Commit to send a report detailing the agreed goals and timelines to the ESMO Head Office and to submit progress updates according to the agreed programme (template will be provided)
You must complete all parts of the application and provide the additional documents as listed below (please ensure you have all the requested documentation to hand when applying):
- Full CV
- Motivation letter – clearly explaining your mentorship need and objectives
- Letter of recommendation or reference from your institute/head of department supporting your application
- ESMO ID Number
- Provide details about any mentorship you currently have or have had
The online application system is now closed
Application review process
Applications will be reviewed by the ESMO Young Oncologists Committee. The committee will evaluate and score all aspects of the application, and in particular focus on:
- Your motivation letter
- Your mentorship need and goals
- Quality of the application
- Access to mentors (preference given to young oncologists who are experiencing problems to find a mentor)
Important: All applications must be submitted in English; incomplete applications will not be accepted
Please note: all costs associated with participating in this programme including virtual technology, travel and hotel at meetings is the responsibility of the programme participants.