Providing opportunities and support needed to develop high-quality research projects in either translational or clinical research.
Application closed will open in early-2022 and will be announced on ESMO's official channels
The ESMO Fellowship Committee will select the type of fellowship (translational or clinical) based on the submitted project with extension possible for a second year on committee approval.
Depending on the focus of the fellowship young oncologists are offered the following research experience:
Comprehensive bench-to-bedside training providing the opportunity to learn about the latest developments in translational cancer research. European centres of excellence serve as host institutes providing the necessary support to develop specific high-quality translational research projects in oncology and helps fellows gain valuable international experience. Aim:
- Provide training in translational research in European centres with an international reputation in the field
- Improve career development through collaboration with European institutions of excellence
- Provide the necessary support to develop specific high-quality translational research projects in oncology
Offering valuable training in clinical research in renowned European cancer centres and supports efforts to expand professional networks through collaboration with institutions of excellence. The fellowship provides the necessary support to develop clinical oncology research projects and the opportunity to further enhance professional skills and competencies in oncology. Aim:
- Provide training in clinical research in renowned European cancer centres
- Support efforts to expand professional networks through collaboration with institutions of excellence
- Provide the necessary support to develop clinical oncology research projects
Amount and duration
- The fellow will receive 40,000€ for a one-year project.
- The host institutes will receive 1,000€ to cover administration costs.
Second-year prolongation is available including additional 40,000€, upon request and subsequent approval by the Fellowship Committee.
Please read the full Guidelines and Application Instructions for Research Fellowships before starting your application.
Applicants must satisfy all the below criteria:
- Be an ESMO member AND age 40 or under at the time of application
- Be an oncologist with at least one year experience in medical, radiation or surgical oncology and currently engaged in cancer research or clinical oncology practice
- Be proficient in English
Application must include:
- Completed online application form
- Detailed description of research project proposal including timelines
- Motivation letter, including project goals and how the acquired techniques will be used in the home institute/country
- Acceptance letter from the person responsible for the project at the host facility (mentor)
- Recommendation letter from the applicant’s department head at home institute
Application review process:
Applications are reviewed by the ESMO Fellowship Committee which comprises leaders in the oncology field. The committee will evaluate and score all aspects of the application, and focus on:
- The overall quality of the application
- Research project: the overall strategy, methodology, and proposed analyses of the research data and appropriateness to accomplish the specific aims within the grant term and motivation letter
- The extent and level of previous training
- Other professional experiences and publications
- Feasibility of the project given the time frame and the budget
The ESMO Fellowship Committee will select which Research Fellowship the applicant will receive which can be either translational or clinical.
Applicants with the highest score will be awarded the fellowship.
The applicant’s supervisors in both the host and home institute should preferably be Full ESMO members.
Important: All applications must be submitted in English; incomplete applications will not be accepted; applicants will be notified about the result approximately 1-2 months after the application deadline.