Clinical Unit Visits are short-term fellowships that enable young oncologists to spend time at a leading cancer care centre in Europe.
Clinical Unit Visits
31 March 2020
This six-week fellowship offers young oncologists the opportunity to gain insight into clinical research at a leading European centre of excellence and provides the opportunity to:
- Gain insight into oncology care and translational research at a top cancer centre
- Support efforts to expand professional networks with a European institution of excellence
- Apply the host institute’s high quality procedures and techniques in the home institution
Amount and duration
The fellow will receive 5,000€ for 6 weeks - Host institutions will receive 1,000€ for administration costs.
Please read the full Guidelines and Application Instructions for Clinical Unit Visit Fellowships before starting your application.
- Be an ESMO member age 40 or under at the time of application – renew your membership here
- Be oncologists or oncologists in training with at least two years of clinical experience in internal medicine or medical, radiation or surgical oncology, and currently engaged in cancer research or clinical oncology practice
- Be proficient in English and/or in the community language of the host institute
- Contact a host institute to organise the clinical visit and obtain the approval and confirmation of both the host and home institutes
Application must include:
- Completed application form
- Digital portrait photograph
- Motivation letter
- Weekly programme (received from the host institute, included in the acceptance letter)
- Acceptance letter from the person responsible for the clinical visit at the host facility
- Recommendation letter from the candidate’s department head at home institute
Application review process:
Applications are reviewed by the ESMO Fellowship Committee which comprises leaders in the oncology field. The committee will evaluate and score all aspects of the application, and in particular focus on:
- The extent and level of previous education (CV)
- Motivation letter
- Other professional training
- Quality of the application
- How the acquired information and knowledge will be used in the home institute
The candidate’s supervisors in both the host and home institute should preferably be Full or Associate ESMO members.
Important: All applications must be submitted in English; incomplete applications will not be accepted; applicants will be notified about the result approximately one month after the application deadline.