Find out how the Spanish national society has got involved in the ESMO-led initiative on data protection aiming to find a balance between citizen data security and protecting the much-needed work of researchers
- Dr. Garrido meets Ana Andres, General Vice Director of EU Justice Matters and Juan Valderra, Technical Advisor of the Ministry of Justice.
- Dr. Garrido meets Jesus Rubi, Deputy Director, Dr. Rafael García Casado, Head of International Affairs and D. Augustine, Chief of the Law cabinet of the Spanish Data Protection Agency.
- Meeting with Javier Arias, general vice-director of cellular therapy and regenerative medicine of Carlos III Health Institute and Carlos Alonso, researcher and member of the Spanish bio-ethic Committee.
- SEOM Members are informed about the issue and asked for their support in spreading the word. Letters are sent to:
- Minister of Justice;
- Minister of Health;
- General secretary of Health;
- President of Spanish Society of Epidemiology (SEE);
- President of Spanish Society of Public Health and Sanitary Administration; (SESPAS)
- General Secretary of the Federation of Medical Scientific Societies (FACME).
- SEOM Executive Board informs members about the decision to support ESMO’s proposal on changes to the Data Protection Regulation
- Dr. Garrido (SEOM President) and Dr. Llombart (SEOM Secretary) meet with Carmen Vela (Secretary of State for development and research innovation) and Antonio Andreu (General Director of the Health Institute Carlos III) to express their concerns. Following the meeting, letters are sent to the Spanish Ministry of Justice as well as the Agency for Data Protection to inform them of the situation.
- Dr. Garrido meets with Dr. Pilar Farjas, General Secretary of Health (Ministry of Health) to discuss the subject.
- April 2014: Members of the Evaluation and Monitoring Committee of the National Strategy Cancer in the National Health System state: ‘Regulation should be able to maintain a balance between patients' rights and the protection of the health of the community’
- April 2014: Minister of Justice states that the Spanish EU Council Minister has already expressed dissatisfaction with the initial proposal of the Commission
- March 2014: FACME Board of Directors letter of support
- Feb 2014: SESPAS letter of support