LUGANO-SINGAPORE - The European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO), the leading professional organisation for medical oncology, is pleased to announce the third ESMO Asia 2017 Congress (1). Held 17–19 November 2017 at the Suntec Convention and Exhibition Centre in Singapore, the scientific and educational congress will keep oncology professionals in the Asia-Paciﬁc region up to date with the fast pace of oncology science and education, and provide important networking opportunities with international peers.
The ESMO Asia 2017 programme (2) will offer state-of-the-art oncology education presented by experts from all over the world, and covering tumour types of particular relevance in the region. Sessions of potential interest to media include:
- Contemporaneous and future approach of localised gastro-oesophageal cancer treatment
- Symptom management in advanced gastrointestinal cancer
- Emerging immunotherapy opportunities in head and neck cancers
- Cancer in pregnancy and management challenges
- Cultural issues in cancer treatment and care
- The incoming wave of oncology biosimilars in Asia
- Challenges in pain and depression management
- Two keynote lectures focussing on “Overcoming inequalities and maximising research opportunities in Asia” (John Chia, Singapore) and “Mechanisms of acquired resistance to immunotherapy” (Antoni Ribas, USA)
The official ESMO Asia 2017 press programme (3) will include - among others - studies on:
- Determinants of cancer screening awareness and participation among Indonesian women: A nationwide study
- Analysis of the gaps on metastatic breast cancer policies and advocacy efforts to support policy development across the patient journey in Asia
- Head and neck cancer occurrences and lifestyle habits in Myanmar
- Detecting and managing cancer with simple blood tests (liquid biopsies) and on the future of circulating tumour DNA
The Singapore Minister for Health, Dr GAN Kim Yong, will be the Guest of Honour at the Congress Opening Session (17 November at 10:45), where Prof Fortunato Ciardiello will deliver the Presidential Address. “The ESMO Asia Congress is fast becoming one of the most important oncology platforms in the region,” said Ciardiello. “The presence of local as well as international professionals, boosts collaboration between Asia, Europe and the global oncology community. Ultimately, this multinational and multidisciplinary exchange of knowledge benefits cancer patients, not only in Asia, but across the world.”
Dr Ravindran Kanesvaran, President of the Singapore Society of Oncology, the host society of the congress said: “The ESMO Asia Congress provides a platform for international and Asian experts to present cutting edge research and its translation in a way that is relevant to patients in our region. This year, as well as science, we will witness important discussions on cultural issues and policy: cancer screening, the need to reduce gaps in access to the best cancer treatment and to advocate for cancer patients in Asia to be treated according to the best global standards.”
The ESMO Asia 2017 Congress is expected to draw around 3,000 participants and is supported by 21 oncology associations in the region (4), including the Singapore Society of Oncology and oncology societies from Australia, Bangladesh, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Uzbekistan.
More information about the ESMO Asia 2017 press programme and media registrations is available here.
Notes to Editors
Please make sure to use the official name of the meeting in your reports: ESMO Asia 2017 Congress
- ESMO Asia 2017 Congress
- ESMO Asia 2017 Scientific Programme
- ESMO Asia 2017 Press Programme
- ESMO Asia 2017 Endorsing Societies
About the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)
ESMO is the leading professional organisation for medical oncology. With 17,000 members representing oncology professionals from 150 countries worldwide, ESMO is the society of reference for oncology education and information. We are committed to supporting our members to develop and advance in a fast-evolving professional environment.