ESMO strives to deliver excellence in education and to develop valuable educational resources and meetings which accompany oncologists throughout all career stages.
With the rising incidence of cancer cases and the rapid changes taking place in oncology, it is vital for professionals to remain up to date.
Main themes for the ESMO Academy 2018
The ESMO Academy 2018 is designed as a preparation course for the ESMO Examination and for medical oncologists in need of a refresher course. Expert speakers offer a general overview of:
- Colorectal Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Sarcoma & GIST
- Lung Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Gynaecological Cancer
- Renal & Testicular Cancer
- Head & Neck Cancer
- Brain Tumours
- Upper GI & Non-Colorectal Cancer
- Haematology & Lymphoma
- Pharmacokinetics & Drug Interactions
- Supportive care
The format is highly interactive and facilitate face to face contact with the experts.
The purpose of this annual educational meeting is to offer a general, yet in depth update on the major topics in medical oncology today.
- Residents / Trainees / Fellows
- Practitioners who are preparing the ESMO Examination or are interested in a general overview across tumour types
- To understand the examination process and questions format
- To learn/update participants about the current standard of care for the main malignancies and the supporting clinical trials
- To learn about the pharmacokinetics of systemic therapies for the management of cancer and the interactions of these drugs
- To identify gaps in an individual’s knowledge for review and improvement
- To learn from the integrated assessments and question reviews with individual speakers and the speaker panel
Attendees registered for the 2018 ESMO Examination can also apply for financial support for travel to Oxford.
The ESMO Academy webcasts include all sessions of the official programme where speaker permission is granted. ESMO members can also access the webcast via OncologyPRO.
ESMO-MORA: The ESMO Academy 2018 programme has been accredited with 16 Cat.1 ESMO MORA points. Recertification is necessary for medical oncologists to remain professionally certified by ESMO. It also guarantees that a certified medical oncologist has continued to update her/his knowledge and still possesses the necessary skills and standards for the practice of medical oncology See here for further details.
CME: The ESMO Academy 2018 has been accredited by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME®) with 16 European CME credits (ECMEC®s). Each medical specialist should claim only those hours of credit that he/she actually spent in the educational activity.Through an agreement between the Union Européenne des Médecins Spécialistes and the American Medical Association, physicians may convert EACCME® credits to an equivalent number of AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Information on the process to convert EACCME credit to AMA credit can be found online here.
Live educational activities, occurring outside of Canada, recognised by the UEMS-EACCME® for ECMEC®s are deemed to be Accredited Group Learning Activities (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.