ESMO welcomes media interested in obtaining information and reporting on cancer issues. Media representatives are required to observe and abide by the ESMO Media Policy, which applies to all ESMO events.
A PRESS badge (with a black identification ribbon) will be issued upon verification of media credentials.
Journalists who wish to attend the ESMO 2016 Congress need to present a letter of assignment and an official press card for recognised:
- Journals, magazines, newspapers (trade and mainstream)
- News agencies and newswire services
- Broadcast media
- Online media
- Information officers of academic institutions, scientific societies, registered medical research charities or patient advocacy groups can request a Press badge, provided they will prepare and publish a report from the ESMO 2016 Congress. A copy of the report from previous meetings should be forwarded together with the media registration request.
- Freelance journalists are required to submit an official letter of assignment and two bylined medical/health/science articles published within the previous six months and coverage from the previous year’s congress (if applicable).
- Companies or organisations producing publications, videos and other products intended for educational purposes (with a commercial component) can request one Press badge for the actual editor.
- Photographers or camera crew members accompanying approved media representatives can obtain a Press badge provided they fulfil the media registration form criteria but they will not have access to embargoed material.
Representatives engaged in the following are NOT entitled to register as media and receive a Press badge but are welcome to register as regular participants:
- Public relations agencies
- Advertising, communications and media agencies
- Sales and marketing
- Financial analysis
- Pharmaceutical companies
The ESMO Press Office reserves the right to withhold approval of press registration if the applicant does not satisfy the criteria for press registration or if the media registration form is sent without the requested supporting documents.
The ESMO Press Office reserves the right to bar from a current or future meeting any person who provides false information about their affiliation or credentials.
The accreditation system is now closed.
Bona fide journalists can still register ONSITE on presentation of a letter of assignment.
Media representatives who have pre-registered and are unable to attend the event are kindly requested to inform the ESMO Press Office as soon as possible, thank you.
Access and facilites
The Press badge entitles the authorised holder to:
- Access the ESMO Press Centre
- Attend the ESMO official press conferences and press briefings
- Attend all sessions in the official Congress programme
- Access the ESMO 2016 Congress webcasts
The ESMO Press Centre (including a working room equipped with electrical sockets, internet access, food & beverage and other facilities to support journalists' work, private interview rooms and the press conference room) is open only to registered members of the working press. Identification will be required.
ESMO press releases, abstracts and other relevant information will be available in the ESMO Press Centre.
Private interview rooms will be available upon request, on a first-come, first-served basis. A booking system will be available onsite in the ESMO Press Centre.
Use of interview rooms is regulated in half-hour increments.
Accredited media representatives who require private interview rooms for longer periods are required to send a written request to the ESMO Press Office by 23 September 2016.
Video, photography and audio recording
ESMO press conferences and press briefings can be audio and video recorded.
Filming outside of the ESMO Press Centre is subject to authorisation by the ESMO Press Office.
A written request must be sent two weeks in advance to the ESMO Press Office (email@example.com).
Requests will be approved on a case-by-case basis. Filming crews will have to be accompanied by an ESMO Press Office representative.
Video recording of the Congress sessions is only possible for few minutes (news coverage). Video recording of the Congress sessions without authorisation is prohibited.
Photographing during sessions is allowed for personal and non-commercial use only, i.e. photos cannot be published or reproduced in any way.
Each press document will include detailed embargo information. Journalists are required to observe and respect embargoes as indicated on each document.
- Abstracts accepted for presentation at ESMO 2016 as Poster Discussion and Poster will be published online on the ESMO website at 12:00 CEST (local Swiss time) on Wednesday, 28 September 2016.
- Abstracts accepted for presentation at ESMO 2016 as Proffered Paper (oral presentation) will be published online on the ESMO website at 12:00 CEST (local Swiss time) on Wednesday, 05 October 2016.
- Late-breaking abstracts will be made public at 08:15 CEST (local Swiss time) on the day of the official Congress session during which they are presented.
- Abstracts selected for the official ESMO Press Programme (_PR suffix in the ESMO Searchable Programme) will be embargoed until made public at the beginning of the official Press Conference during which they are presented, whichever comes first. Exact embargo time will be communicated at a later stage
Abstracts accepted as:
28 September 2016
Abstracts accepted as:
05 October 2016
Late-breaking abstracts (prefix ‘LBA’)
08:15 CEST (local Swiss time)
Abstracts selected for official ESMO Press Programme
Beginning of the official ESMO Press Conference during which they are presented, at 08:15 CEST (local Swiss time)
Exact embargo time will be communicated at a later stage and will be printed on individual press documents.
ESMO reserves the right to exclude any entity that fails to adhere to this policy from the present Congress, at its own complete cost, and from any future event.
For any inquiries, please contact:
ESMO Press Office
Tel. +41 (0)91 973 19 04
Fax +41 (0)91 973 19 93
Last updated 12 February 2016