The Cancer Assistance Network (RAO) at Siracusa is a model for care and support to people affected by cancer. It represents a new organisational model of care that emphasises the centrality of the cancer patient.
ROA is locared in the city of Siracusa at the Hospital Umberto I. Two further branches can be found at the Hospital Di Maria in Avola and hospital Muscatello in Augusta to ensure the needs of the vast province of Siracusa. Patients access is both inpatient and outpatient.
The services provided include:
- Inpatient, outpatient, community based care
- Multidisciplinary meetings
- 11 inpatient beds - one single and five double rooms
- Team comprises of Palliative Medicine Specialists, Nurse Practitioner, Specialist Nurses and volunteers
- Psychosocial team
- Active teaching, training and research programme
- Medical Oncology
- Gynaecological Oncology
- Familial Cancer and genetic testing
- Palliative Care
- Psycho Oncology
- Social worker
- Surgical Oncology
Palliative and Supportive Care
The palliative care unit is embedded in the Oncology Unit.
- Outpatient palliative care and pain therapy which is available to all patients already treated in the hospital or from the territory of reference
- Consultations in palliative care and pain therapy in patients admitted to the Oncology Unit and divisions of the clinical institute
- Procedures also include invasive pain therapy with outpatient surgery or day surgery scheduled for visits of palliative care and pain therapy
- Service continuity of care
- Palliative home care provided
- 24h/24 availability for patients cared for at home
- Integration with the activities of the Hospice of Siracusa
- The doctor dedicated to palliative care is Sebastiano Rametta Giuliano.
- The nurse dedicated to palliative care is Margherita Iacono
Last update: October 2020