Velindre Cancer Centre provides closely integrated oncology and palliative care clinical services. In 1998 the centre began the integration of oncology and palliative care. Since then, Velindre University NHS Trust has become a central regional hub for palliative care, contributing to symptom-control and support for cancer patients in hospitals, outpatient settings, day care and the community, but also providing leadership for Wales and further afield.
Palliative and supportive care
The Specialist Palliative Care team at Velindre Cancer Centre comprise palliative medicine consultants, specialist trainee doctors and clinical nurse specialists. Inpatients and outpatients coming to the centre can be referred to the palliative care team for bespoke, specialist advice. Staff work together with the oncology doctors and other clinicians to provide the best care to meet patient need. The team also provides formal and informal education for clinical and ancillary staff. This ensures broader communication and palliative care delivery for everyone involved with patients and their next-of-kin. The Palliative Medicine department also helps in the delivery of the world renowned MSc/Postgraduate Diploma in Palliative Medicine/Care through Cardiff University and the GP Short Course.
There is a dedicated Cancer Associated Thrombosis Clinic at the cancer centre, and there is also a chronic pain service and an interventional pain MDT, which is attended by anaesthetists who can deliver neural blocks, for instance. There is a supportive care service, which includes dedicated level 1-4 psychological services. A further strength at our centre in recent years has been the development of national communication guidance for Advance and Future Care Planning in Wales.
- Winner Excellence in Patient Care Awards 2019 Royal College of Physicians, London
- Winner Health Service Journal Patient Safety Awards (Palliative Care)
- Winner NHS Wales Award
- Serious Illness Cymru: Communication training http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjspcare-2018-001734
- TalkCPR website Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation decisions in palliative care
- Moth project Falmouth University graphic design collaboration exhibited in galleries & conferences
- Advance Care Planning website for NHS Wales - an online area for patients, proxy & healthcare professionals
- Velindre VR Project: Palliative/Oncology Care Virtual Reality education library. Coverage in the Guardian newspaper. Details Wales STEME Conference VR in MedEd Plenary video
Additional Contact Person: Sarah.Coppock@wales.nhs.uk