The Palliative Care Unit at the Klinikum Bielefeld was established in April 2013 within the Hematology and Medical Oncology Department.
The Palliative Care Unit is a 10-bed-unit comprised of three large semi-private rooms and four single rooms. The Environment on the PCU is structured for the comfort of patients and their beloved ones. Facilities include an open concept kitchen/Lounge/dining area, a open terrace, a wellness-bathroom, educational reading and music-therapy materials and small private meeting/prayer/meditation rooms.
Areas of specialisation
- palliative medicine
- psycho-oncologic Support for patients and their families
- spiritual care
- music therapy
- physiotherapy and respiratory care
- nutritional support and advice
- palliative chemo- or radiotherapy, if compatible with patient's quality of life and reasonable for symptom controll
- various medical and nursing teaching acitivities and bedside teaching for medical students
Palliative and supportive care
The Palliative Care Unit offers care and support for people with severe illnesses. At any time there is a focus on quality of life and symptom management within an integrated holistic approach. The patient, first and foremost, will be the center of care and will be enabeled to perform his or her autonomy as far as possible.