Founded in 1901, Bligny was a sanatorium, where Calmette and Guerin developed BCG vaccine. During the last quarter of the 20th century, Bligny transformed into a modern private hospital involved in public health service.
The hospital has 374 beds (13 in intensive care unit, 126 in acute care, 235 in post acute and rehabilitation) and 22 out-patients places, all are single beds.
- Five clinical departments:
- Oncology, Haematology and Palliative care department
- Cardiology department
- Medicine (VIH infection and geriatric)
- Sanatorium (still devoted to tuberculosis care, for multi or ultra-resistant mycobacteria)
- Consultation ward (20000 consultations per year)
- Mobile Palliative Care Unit
- Technical equipment: CT scan, , biology, microbiology, virology , digestive and thoracic endoscopy, pharmacy with centralized preparation of cytostatic
- There are 50 nursing staff and 11 medical doctors in the Oncology, Haematology and Palliative Care Department including two haematologists, five medical oncologists, three palliative care specialists, one general practitioner. Social practitioners, psychologists and psychiatrists, physiotherapists, dieticians and many volunteers are involved in the department.
- The centre is accredited by the French Authorities for chemotherapy treatments
Areas of specialisation
General Oncology including emergency care. Haematological rehabilitation after auto or allogeneic transplant. Pain treatment and Palliative care including emergency and respite stays.
Palliative and supportive
The palliative care unit is composed of three practitioners graduated in pain evaluation and palliative care, one psychologist, one physiotherapist, and part-time secretary, dietician and psychiatrist. Art therapy coach and volunteers also visit the patients.
Palliative care mobile unit supports oncology teams when facing palliative care situations, providing diagnostic or therapeutic advices, collaborating to understand and answer patients’ needs to obtain best palliation of cancer symptoms.