Papa Giovanni XXIII hospital is one of the biggest hospitals in Lombardy, with 320 thousand meters squared in total and more than 900 beds. Among the areas of excellence, an important role is covered by the Cancer Center that brings patients from the whole National territory and also from foreign countries.
The Cancer Center was established in 2013 as an integration organism of all departments treating oncology patients.
- More than 900 beds (whole Hospital)
- Oncological ward:14 beds
- DH: 22 beds
- Oncology Unit: 12 Medical Doctors
- Radiotherapy Unit for Palliative, Adjuvant or Concomitant treatment
- Center for Cellular Treatment and Stem cells research
- 80 on-going therapeutic trials
- Teaching hospital in collaboration with the University of Milan and Pavia
The Cancer Center is directed by Professor Roberto Labianca and includes:
1. Oncology & Ematology Department , directed by Dr Alessandro Rambaldi, which includes:
- Medical Oncology Unit: Director Carlo Tondini
- Haematology Unit: Director Alessandro Rambaldi
- Radiotherapy Unit: Director Luigi Franco Cazzaniga
- Division Immunohaematology and Transfusion Medicine, Haemostasis and Thrombosis Center: Director Anna Falanga
2. Palliative Care Unit: Director Roberto Labianca
3. And all medical, surgical or diagnostic units that treat oncology patients.
Palliative and supportive care
The Cancer Center team includes:
- 8 palliative doctors and about 18 nurses working in the institutional hospice
- 2 medical oncologists belonging to the Medical Oncology Unit and with a specific palliative care education and experience in their curricula
- 1 doctor and 1 nurse working in home care
- 2 psychologists with a specific experience in psycho-oncology and quality of life assessment
- 1 social worker operating in home and hospital setting
- 1 group of volunteers, of the Palliative Care Association, specifically dedicated to these patients
The Centre provides support either at home or in the palliative care unit. Volunteers play an important role in the department.
Dr Caterina Messina, Oncology Unit - Cmessina@asst-pg23.it
Dr. Michele Fortis, Palliative Care Unit - email@example.com