The UMass Memorial Cancer Centre has provided comprehensive care to patients in Central Massachusetts and throughout New England since the 1970s. We are dedicated to treating the whole patient in an environment of compassion and respect through a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, early diagnosis and innovative treatment, and extensive support services.
UMass Memorial Cancer Centre is part of the UMass Memorial Medical Centre, and the serves as the primary teaching site for our affiliated UMass Medical School. Our Medical Centre includes three campuses located in Worcester: our University Campus, Memorial Campus and Hahnemann Campus.
- Our hospitals have 781 beds, serving over 41,000 hospitalized patients. We have an 8-bed bone-marrow transplant unit. Critically ill patients are cared for in our 112 ICU rooms supported by a state-of-the art telemedicine supported e-ICU. Our clinics and emergency rooms provide over 830,000 outpatient visits and over 138,000 emergency room visits annually.
- We have 1215 physicians on staff, 2328 registered nurses tending to the needs of our patients in hospitals and clinics.
- Our outpatient cancer services are provided principally in the new Ambulatory Care Centre (ACC) building, next to the main hospital. Outreach clinics at each of our affiliate hospitals ensure access to the high quality of cancer care across our county. Our facilities including: medical, surgical , and gynaecological oncology rooms, infusion suites, radiation oncology, mammography and radiology centres, procedures rooms with equipment to maximize comfort for patients and families, space for family conferences and education services.
- In addition, our network of care includes community-based physician practices, home health, hospice, rehabilitation and behavioural health services.
- As a Centre of Excellence, we work in conjunction with researchers from UMass Medical School, exploring innovations in basic and translational cancer biology and therapies and in new approaches to delivery models.
Our Cancer Centre of Excellence is provides multidisciplinary care to patients within each of the core disease specific areas through comprehensive collaboration between our specialists.
Disease specific areas include:
- Gastroenterology cancers
- Comprehensive Breast centre
- Bone marrow transplant clinic and centre
- Gynaecological cancers
- Haematologic malignancies
- Genitourinary cancers
- Thoracic cancers
- Orthopaedic and bone cancers
- Skin and soft tissue malignancy
- Paediatric oncology clinic
- Cancer risks behaviour
- Developmental therapies
Specialists supporting these services include: medical, surgical, paediatric, gynaecological oncologists, radiation oncologists, palliative medicine specialists, geneticist and genetic counsellors.
Palliative and supportive care
Palliative and supportive care services at UMass Memorial Medical Centre are available to patients across all settings: from paediatric palliative care to adult palliative care. Board certified and fellowship-trained physicians lead the consultative services for hospitalized patients and through an outpatient consultation clinic at cancer centre's ACC building. Psychosocial support is provided to patients and their families by psychologists, social workers, and hospital chaplains. Additionally, support services such as oncology nursing, social work, nutritional counselling, home care coordination, educational seminars, support groups, an active volunteer programme, programmes at the Centre for Mindfulness, and on-site American Cancer Society resource rooms are available to patients and their families. Home services are provided to patients through affiliated home health and hospice services.
Collaboration of care across disciplines is supported through weekly formal interdisciplinary palliative care meetings, where physicians and nurse practitioners of various disciplines (palliative care, medical oncology, surgical oncology, radiation oncology, psychiatry) meet with nursing, case management, social work, and chaplaincy to discuss patients active on the service.
Our oncology fellows, residents and medical students participate in electives with our palliative care physicians, ensuring that the next generation of physicians can provide compassionate and expert care in symptom relief and end-of-life care.
Contact Person: Suzana Makowski, MD, MMM
Email address: email@example.com