The ESMO Certificate of Professional Development in Upper Digestive Tumours is a continuous medical education programme offered to all ESMO members as a further opportunity of gaining in-depth knowledge in a specific area
ESMO members can build a customized professional development programme by attending an array of tumour-specific, diverse educational and scientific ESMO events over a period of three years and ultimately certify this activity by using the ESMO MORA point system.
This educational path is designed by ESMO for all ESMO members who have sat the ESMO Examination at least once in their lifetime with the aim of meeting the growing needs for a more specific certification of professional development in specialized oncology areas/tumour types (in addition to the ESMO Certification in Medical Oncology obtained through the yearly ESMO Examination).
The certificate is issued upon the completion of the curriculum (fixed part and a flexible part). Candidates will need to collect 50 ESMO-MORA category 1 points in a 3-year period by participating in ESMO online and in-person activities, which will contribute to enriching their education and supporting their professional careers.
Application will be available as of December 2022
Who can apply?
All ESMO members in good standing who have sat the ESMO Examination at least once in their lifetime and meet the eligible criteria.
- Be an ESMO member in good standing.
- Have successfully passed the ESMO Examination at least once in a lifetime.
- Have collected 50 ESMO-MORA category 1 CME points in a period of 3 consecutive years over several ESMO activities:
- Fixed Curriculum (at least 12 ESMO-MORA points accrued through the ESMO Deep Dive Webinars in the relevant tumour track). Each webinar is accredited with 2 ESMO-MORA category 1 points.
- Flexible Curriculum (the remaining points to be accrued through the below activities).
For the period 2022-2024, the deep dive webinars in Upper Digestive tumours released in 2022 can be used.
The next set of deep dive webinars will be released in 2025.
Flexible Curriculum - Activities accepted
- ESMO Advanced Courses and ESMO Preceptorships in the relevant topic: CME according to programme.
- ESMO Guidelines Webinars: 1 CME point each
- ESMO E-Learning Module: 1 CME point each
- ESMO Virtual Plenaries: 1 CME point each
- ESMO Handbook CME test online: 5 CME points
- ESMO Congresses and ESMO Meetings (relevant track/tumour type) CME points according to sessions for max 5 CME points
- ESMO tumour specific events (i.e ESMO World GI): CME points according to programme - max 8 points
How to apply?
Application can be submitted online at www.esmo.org by completing the application form and sending the relevant documents.
The ESMO Head Office will be in charge of assessing the application.
Reporting time: December of each year
Upon completion, a certificate will be issued by ESMO.
About the ESMO Certificate of Professional Development
The ESMO Certificate of Professional Development is an excellent opportunity for medical oncologists to keep up to date in the specialised field of interest. It brings together learning synergies from the portfolio of high-quality ESMO educational products and scientific events into an ESMO-enabled certification in a specialized tumour type that the member can obtain via a customized attendance schedule fitting his/her needs and time.
This certificate has no legal standing since only national authorities can grant physicians the right to practice and can certify sub-specialty proficiency.
An Administration fee of 100 EUR will be applied by ESMO.