Prof Iwona Lugowska is Head of the Early Phase Clinical Trials Unit and Consultant in Oncology in the Department of Soft Tissue/Bone Sarcoma and Melanoma at the Maria Sklodowska-Curie National Institute and Oncology Centre (MSCI), in Warsaw, Poland. Prof Lugowska is a board member of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC), Plenipotentiary Director for International Affairs MSCI, a member of the Ethics Committee at MSCI and a coordinator of the Centre for Research and Development, MSCI.
In 2010, Prof Lugowska received a PhD for her research on prognostic factors in osteosarcoma. She also received an award from the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) IDEA Program 2010 and visited the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. She has also been selected for:
- the Early Carrier Investigator Leadership Program of EORTC 2018-2019.
- the ECCO-AACR-EORTC-ESMO Workshop on Methods in Clinical Cancer Research 2015;
- the Talent in Oncology Program - GLOW Program 2011-2012;
- the fellowship of EORTC–NCI-ASCO Annual Meeting on Molecular Markers in Cancer 2011;
- and by the Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences in 2010 (Clinical Trials Methodology) and 2011 (Clinical Decision-Making Modelling).
Her main fields of interest are sarcoma and melanoma research, as well as early-phase clinical trials. She also developed a Clinical Support System for the management of gastrointestinal stromal tumour (GIST). Besides clinical practice, she has participated in academic and sponsored international clinical trials.
Prof Lugowska is Chair of the ESMO Educational Publications Working Group (term: 2020-2021).