- Assistant Professor of Dermatology, Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Bucharest
- Senior Consultant in Dermatology, Elias University Hospital, Bucharest
- Member of the Board of the European Association of Dermato-Oncology (EADO)
- Member of the Board of the International Dermoscopy Society (IDS).
- Member of the International Advisory Council of the Skin Cancer Foundation, (NY, USA) Founding President of the Romanian Skin Cancer Foundation
I acquired my dermatology specialty training in Bucharest, Romania and in Berlin, Germany, and my doctoral degree at the Free University of Berlin, Germany, with a fundamental research work in the field of experimental therapeutic molecules for melanoma. I completed my education in dermato-oncology with the Visiting Fellowship of the American Academy of Dermatology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA and pursued my post-doctoral research as Visiting Scientist at Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, USA, researching on strategies and education programs for skin cancer early detection.
Melanoma has always been my main scientific interest, but my latest work, both in research and in patients advocacy is spurred by the challenges I face in the daily care for skin cancer patients in Romania. Late detection of advanced tumors, lack of awareness both in patients and physicians, lack of epidemiologic data and control, shortages in diagnostic and care facilities and lately lack of access to new treatments and trials are the dramatic reality that Romania shares with much of the Eastern half of Europe, for skin cancer and cancer in general. Consequently my research and patient advocacy activity is directed at strategies and techniques for skin cancer early detection, cancer registration, and medical and public education for cancer prevention, with a strong focus on intra-European disparities in skin cancer burden and access to care.