Vivantes Klinikum Spandau
ESMO Designated Centre of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care
|Contact person||Prof. Dr. E. Späth-Schwalbe|
Neue Bergstrasse 6
|Contact||Tel: +49 30 130 13 2601 - ernst(dot)spaeth-schwalbe(at)vivantes(dot)de|
|Web||Vivantes Klinikum Spandau|
The Vivantes Klinikum Spandau was founded as “Krankenhaus Spandau in 1899”. The department for haematology, medical oncology and gastroenterology was established in 1982. In 2011 we will celebrate the 20th anniversary of our palliative care unit which was the first in Berlin and among the first 10 palliative care units in Germany.
Vivantes is a health network with 9 hospitals in Berlin; Klinikum Spandau is a teaching hospital with 500 beds. In cooperation with the other Vivantes hospitals the whole spectrum of medical services is offered to patients:
- 36 oncology inpatient beds
- 10 palliative care beds
- 36 gastroenterology inpatient beds
- 3 Medical Oncologists, 3 Radiation Oncologists, 3 Palliative Care Physicians, and 1 Psycho oncologist.
- Supportive care department with social work, dietician, community care access, spiritual care and psychiatry liaison services.
- Out-patient facilities where approximately 800 new patients are seen annually, together with 5000 out-patient follow-up visits.
- Chemotherapy suite with 8 chairs where 20-30 treatments are provided daily.
- Radiotherapy department with 2 new linear accelerators equipped with cone beam CT and IMRT (rapid ARC) and full service brachytherapy suite.
We offer diagnosis and therapy for patients with early and progressed solid tumours, lymphoma and leukaemia, as well as for benign haematological diseases. One special focus is on giving the appropriate treatment to the growing group of elderly tumour patients who are usually under-represented in clinical trials.
Palliative and supportive care
The 10 bed Palliative Care and Symptom Control Unit is staffed by 2 palliative care physicians, specialized palliative care nurses with many years of experience, 1 psycho oncologist and pastoral care. There is a strong cooperation with the home care services in Berlin. The ward is in a separate building on the hospital area.