University Clinic of Respiratory and Allergic Diseases Golnik
ESMO Designated Centre of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care
|Contact person||Urška Lunder, MD|
|Contact||Tel: +386 4 25 69 507 - urska(dot)lunder(at)klinika-golnik(dot)si|
|Web||University Clinic of Respiratory and Allergic Diseases Golnik|
In the mid 1950s, the then central Yugoslavian tuberculosis hospital, founded in 1921, specialised in the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary diseases. It continued its mission until the 1990 when it also began to treat allergic diseases. The hospital gained its independence from the University Medical Centre Ljubljana in 1998, and has been doing its best to remain a modern hospital ever since by aiming at scientific development and continuous improvement of the professional knowledge of its employees. The hospital’s up-to-date diagnostic and laboratory units fully support its 9 clinical wards. The non-acute ward with the Palliative Care Unit was established in 2003. Its multidisciplinary team also gives consultations on other wards in the hospital.
University Clinic Golnik in Numbers:
- 9 clinical wards
- 216 beds
- 7 outpatient units
- 5 laboratories
- 8748 hospital admissions
- 47,176 outpatient examinations annually
|The total of all employees on Dec 31, 2012||475|
|Doctors (37 specialists, 23 residents)||58|
|Laboratory technicians and radiology engineers||63|
|Other medical staff (pharmacy 7, physiotherapy 6)||13|
|Number of registered researchers||70|
University Clinic of Respiratory and Allergic Diseases Golnik is a clinical, teaching and research institution. It is a tertiary institution where patients with pulmonary, allergic and other internal diseases from around Slovenia are treated.
- Clinical activities (pulmonology, oncology, allergology, treatment of tuberculosis, cardiology, intensive therapy, emergency treatment, surgical treatment, palliative care).
- Diagnostics (respiratory endoscopy, abdominal endoscopy, radiology, functional diagnostics, cardiovascular functional diagnostics, sleep related breathing disorders, physiotherapy, respiratory rehabilitation).
- Laboratories (Cytology and Pathology Laboratory, Laboratory for Clinical Immunology and Molecular Genetics, Laboratory for Clinical Biochemistry and Haematology, Laboratory for Mycobacteria, Laboratory for Respiratory Microbiology).
- University Clinic Golnik as a teaching institution (clinical training programme for students from the Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Pharmacy (both at the University of Ljubljana), College of Nursing in Jesenice, students of laboratory science and students of psychology).
- University Clinic Golnik as a research institution (the hospital employs 67 researchers who are registered at the Ministry of Science and Technology).
- The national Register of Tuberculosis and Register for Long-Term Oxygen Treatment at Home are also located at and run by the University Clinic Golnik.
Palliative and supportive care
- Palliative Care Unit at non-acute ward
- 10 palliative care beds and 9 long term care beds
- 354 admissions (2009)
The ward was founded in 2003 as the first one of its kind in Slovenia and is run by a registered nurse. Specialist palliative care team consists of 1 palliative medicine specialist, 1 palliative medicine fellow, 3 registered nurses with additional education in palliative care, 12 nurses, a social worker, physiotherapist, psychologist, dietitian and volunteers. After the patient’s situation is stabilised, the specialist palliative care team provides high quality palliative care to the patient and their closest in the ward and also gives consultations on hospital acute wards. Before discharge they help prepare patients for an optimal quality of end-of-life care at home or in a nursing home. Using a well-organised scheme of education and coordinated discharge they prepare patients and their closest to continue care at home whenever possible. Palliative care team provides a great amount of education both in the hospital and in the region.