Southern Adelaide Cancer Services
ESMO Designated Centre of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care
|Contact person||Dr Chris Karapetis, Director of Cancer Services|
Flinders Medical Center, Flinders Drive
Bedford Park 5042
|Contact||Tel: +61 8 82048997 - chris(dot)karapetis(at)health(dot)sa(dot)gov(dot)au|
|Web||Southern Adelaide Cancer Services|
The Southern Adelaide Health Service was established in 2004 to provide a regional approach to health care services in the South of Adelaide. It comprises 3 regional hospitals and community health care facilities and is closely affiliated with the Flinders University of South Australia.
Regional services provide:
- Inpatient, outpatient, community based care
- Multidisciplinary meeting in 11 tumour types
- 15 inpatient hospice beds - 7 single and 4 double rooms
- Team comprises of Palliative Medicine Specialists, Psychiatrist, Nurse Practitioner, Specialist Nurses, Allied Health Professionals and Volunteers.
- Relaxation centre, psychosocial team, art therapist and music therapist
- An active teaching, training and research programme
- Rural outreach
Medical Oncology, Palliative Care, Radiation Oncology, Surgical Oncology, Haematology, Gynaecological Oncology, Psychooncology
Palliative and supportive care
The Specialist Palliative Care Service (SPCS) meet weekly with the oncology and multidisciplinary team to provide best supportive care to cancer patients.
Care is provided in one of three settings; the community, hospital, or hospice. Psychosocial needs are supported from the SPCS psychiatrist, social worker, psycho-oncology nurse, bereavement coordinator and complementary care coordinator.
The SPCS has an active research unit which actively recruits from all sites of care and is integrated with the Flinders University to provide graduate studies in multi-disciplinary Palliative Care.