Cancer Prevention Center
ESMO Designated Centre of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care
|Contact person||Ioseb Abesadze, MD, PhD, Executive director, Head of Palliative Care Programs|
0177, Lisi Lake
National Cancer Centre
|Contact||Tel: +995 32 236 91 12 / Cell:+995 99 90 03 19 - abesadze_cpc(at)yahoo(dot)com|
|Web||Cancer Prevention Center|
The Cancer Prevention Centre (CPC) was founded in 2000, with a legal union status. It is a non-governmental, non-profit organization, providing medical and educational programmes to all stakeholders from the health care system: patients, physicians, patients’ family members and medical students. CPC works in several directions: Prevention and early detection of pre-cancer and cancer diseases, treatment of curable cases of Cancer, provision of Palliative Care to cancer and other patients.
The Cancer Prevention Centre (CPC) is located in two three-storied building with a total space of 1500sq. met.
- 1st floor - Inpatient Palliative Care department with 9 wards (3 single, 3 for two patients and 3 for 3 patients – total 18 beds). Each ward has an individual bathroom
- 2nd floor – Home Care team’s office, wards for Medical Oncology department (for at least 5-6 patients), offices for administrative staff, Office of the “Institute for Cancer Prevention and Palliative Medicine(established by CPC staff) and focused on Academic Activities (Research, training, education, etc)
- 3rd floor – Inpatient Setting for HIV/AIDS patients Palliative Care (4 beds)
- Staff: 8 physicians (4 daily physicians of which 3 Oncologists and one Family physician) and 4 doctors on duty (IC Physicians), 8 nurses (4 daily and 4 on duty), psychologist, MSW, matron, technical person, cleaners and administrative staff (4 people).
- Inpatient Palliative Care department for Cancer Patients
- Inpatient Palliative Care department for HIV/AIDS Patients
- Home Care team; Medical Oncology Clinic
- Education facility
- Cancer treatment (Chemotherapy in our department, other treatment in collaboration with NCC
- Inpatient Palliative Care
- Home Care
- Supportive Care on early stages of Cancer (rarely)
- Psychological and Social support of patient/family
- Education of patient/family
Ambulance car, equipped laboratory for tests, X ray machine, Endoscopies, Ultrasound machine, equipped dressing room, etc.
Besides the permanent work directed on improvement of quality of care and a variety of provided services, CPC is actively involved in international cooperation and research activities. The CPC team participates in Trans European studies and is ready to become part of the international movement for quality and integrated cancer Care.
CPC carries out its activities in several directions:
Cancer Prevention and early detection, treatment (medical Oncology) and Palliative and supportive Care of Cancer and other terminally ill patients.
CPC is affiliated with the Tbilisi State Medical University, CPC provides teaching in Oncology and Palliative Care for Medical Students and Nurses; Postgraduate education for residents in Oncology and Family Medicine and number of different level trainings for GPs. This year we have a PhD student in Palliative Care.
PC lobbying and advocacy, promotion of issues like prevention and early detection culture, patients’ oriented services and multidisciplinary approaches - are the key points of CPC activities.
Palliative and supportive care
In 2004 CPC established the first and sole specialized Hospice in Georgia. It started with an inpatient unit for 8 patients and since then has developed different services. At present it is functioning as an inpatient department for Cancer patients (18 beds) and HIV patients (4 beds) and Home Care Team (approx. 30 patients). Placing high priority on a multidisciplinary approach and the importance of patients/families relations, CPC provides psychological support to patients and their family members. Cooperating with social workers’ institutions and the Georgian Orthodox Church, we are trying to introduce social and spiritual care in our work. In this direction we still have some space for improvement.