Improving Access to Pain Medication and Palliative Care for All in Africa
African Palliative Care Association Annual Report 2013-2014
- Date: 22 Jan 2015
- Topic: Palliative and supportive care
At the beginning of 2015, the African Palliative Care Association (APCA) published its Annual Report 2013-2014 highlighting the incredible work that has been carried out as part of its mission objective: to ensure that palliative care is widely understood, integrated into health systems at all levels and underpinned by evidence.
The APCA was a collaborating partner on the ESMO-led Global Opioid Policy Initiative.
An important area of this mission is 'Medicines Availability' and key achievements include:
- Partnership with the Pain Policy Studies Group of the University of Wisconsin (US) to pilot the first African Pain Policy Fellowship (APPF) programme aimed at empowering health care practitioners
- Launch of a study on supply chain mechanisms, estimating procedures and consumption of opioids in four countries
- Support on improving access to pain medications, especially opioids, in 12 countries
- Technical assistance for governments on opioid importation