IMPAKT 2017: Partner Profiles
European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)
ESMO is the leading professional organisation for medical oncology, with the overarching goal of improving outcomes for cancer patients everywhere. We are the society of reference for oncology education and information, and are committed to supporting our members to develop and advance in a fast-evolving professional environment.
Founded in 1975, ESMO has European roots with a global reach: we welcome oncology professionals from around the world. We are a home for all oncology stakeholders, connecting professionals with diverse expertise and experience, and speaking with one voice for our discipline. Our education and information resources support an integrated multi-professional approach to cancer care, from a medical oncology perspective. We seek to erase boundaries in cancer care, whether between countries or specialities, and pursue our mission across oncology, worldwide.
The ESMO community brings together more than 15,000 oncology professionals from over 130 countries. Drawing on 40 years of experience and around 500 expert committee members, ESMO serves its members and the oncology community through:
- Post-graduate oncology education and training
- Career development and leadership training for the next generations of oncologists
- International congresses and workshops to share expertise and best practice, learn about the most up-to-date scientific advances, and connect with colleagues in related disciplines.
- Continuously reviewed, evidence-based standards for cancer care in Europe
- Advocacy and consultation to foster a favourable environment for scientific research
Cancer care is rapidly becoming more integrated and more specialised; whether their field is research, diagnosis, treatment, care, or advocacy, oncology professionals need to both build their specialist knowledge and connect with the best practitioners in other disciplines worldwide. ESMO membership makes this possible.
Join the ESMO community today!
Breast International Group (BIG)
The Breast International Group (BIG) is a not-for-profit organisation for academic breast cancer research groups from around the world, with its headquarters in Brussels, Belgium.
Founded by leading European opinion leaders in 1996, BIG now constitutes a network of 56 collaborative groups from Europe, Canada, Latin America, the Middle East, Asia and Australasia. These research entities are tied to several thousand specialised hospitals and research centres worldwide. More than 30 clinical trials are run or are under development under the BIG umbrella at any one time. BIG also works closely with the US National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the North American Breast Cancer Group (NABCG), so that together they act as a strong integrating force in the breast cancer research arena.
Global collaboration is crucial to make significant advances in breast cancer research, reduce unnecessary duplication of effort, share data, contribute to the faster development of better treatments, and increase the likelihood of cures for patients. Therefore BIG facilitates breast cancer research at international level, by stimulating cooperation between its members and other academic networks, and collaborating with, but working independently from, the pharmaceutical industry.
To get to know the BIG network and its activities better, visit: www.bigagainstbreastcancer.org
The European Breast Cancer Council (EBC Council) is an association of European organisations involved in breast cancer. The three founding members of the organisation are EORTC Breast group, EUSOMA and EUROPA DONNA.
The mission of the Association is to raise awareness and improve prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care of breast cancer patients.
Goals and objectives in support of the Association’s mission shall be to:
- Increase awareness for breast cancer.
- Promote consensus on controversial issues concerning breast cancer.
- Uphold and disseminate guidelines related to screening, prevention, treatment, research and care aspects of breast cancer in cooperation with our members and partners.
- Promote and support educational activities of professionals and advocates in the field of breast cancer.
- Promote and support research initiatives and the dissemination of knowledge in the field of breast cancer.
- Promote and support initiatives aiming at improving the quality of care.
- Build a reliable source of information on breast cancer.
- Streamline communications between different actors active in breast cancer prevention, education, advocacy and all aspects of research, treatment and care.
- Stimulate and support the coordination of breast cancer events in Europe.
- To further the above goals and objectives, the Association provides a platform for its Members and Partners by carrying such activities as the organization of international scientific meetings and study groups, amongst other events.
For more information, you can visit the association website www.ebccouncil.com
Foundation “St.Gallen Oncology Conferences” (SONK)
“St.Gallen Oncology Conferences” (SONK), founded in 1996, is a nonforprofit educational foundation after Swiss law, registered with the Department of Interiors of the Canton of St.Gallen in Eastern Switzerland.
The main goals of the Foundation SONK is the promotion of education for oncologists, oncology nurses and other health care professionals in oncology and hematology. This is achieved by organising annual international conferences in English language. Apart from this, the Deutschsprachig-Europäische Schule fur Onkologie (deso), a sector of SONK, additionally offers 14-15 annual seminars in German language in clinical oncology, advanced nursing oncology and supportive/palliative care for physicians, nurses and other health care professionals in Austria, Germany, South-Tirol/Italy and in the German-speaking part of Switzerland.
The office of the Foundation SONK is closely linked with the site and administration of the privately operated, but State-licenced Tumor and Breast Center ZeTuP St.Gallen. St.Gallen Oncology Conferences, since many years organises and realises in “uneven“ years the important bi-annual St.Gallen International Breast Cancer Conferences with around 3500 participants from all over the world and with the prominently published and highly respected St.Gallen breast cancer treatment consensus recommendations, as well as the bi-annual International Conferences on Primary Therapy of Gastro-Intestinal Cancers in “even“ years.
Chairperson of the Foundation Council of St.Gallen Oncology Conferences is Dr. oec., Christoph Senn, Institute of Key Account Management of the University of St.Gallen, and CEO of the Foundation SONK is Dr. Agnes Glaus, Ph.D., R.N., of the Tumor- and Breast Center ZeTuP St.Gallen, Switzerland.
Please visit our Foundation and its manyfold international and national educational projects on: www.oncoconferences.ch
IMPAKT 2017 Media Partner
Belgian Oncology News
Belgian Oncology News is the leading magazine covering scientific news in oncology and hematology. It is largely based on the major international congresses. We bring scientifically correct articles with the latest news in clinical oncology and provide comments of the most important Belgian and international ‘key opinion leaders.’