ESMO Global Policy Committee: Major Achievements
- Preliminary data for the ESMO International Consortium Study on the Availability of Anti-neoplastic Medicines was presented at the ESMO Society Session during the European Cancer Congress 2015, Vienna, Austria.
- Preliminary data for the ESMO European Consortium Study on the Availability of Anti-neoplastic Medicines across Europe was presented at ESMO 2014 and is now in the peer-review stage. The study is conducted under the auspices of the Emerging Countries Committee. Access the data here.
- 67th World Health Assembly adopts the "Strengthening of palliative care as a component of integrated treatment throughout the life course" resolution. ESMO, UICC, NCD Alliance and other endorsing partners issue palliative care statement at WHA.
- Formation of a Global Cancer Task Force led by Eduardo Cazap (Argentina) and José Martin-Moreno (Spain). The Task Force provides a platform for the exchange of technical and scientific expertise of cancer organisations worldwide who voluntarily come together to provide guidance to the World Health Organization (WHO) on issues related to clinical oncology care. The Task Force is currently focusing on projects related to national-level implementation of the 2013-2020 WHO Global Action Plan on the Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Diseases, whose goal is to reduce preventable deaths from this category of illnesses by 25% by the year 2025.
- First international data on opioid availability published in Annals of Oncology. ESMO reports: Untreated cancer pain a ‘scandal of global proportions'. Find out more about this important initiative and all the advocacy tools available.
- ESMO 2012 Congress plenary presentation webcast and video interviews of the survey results of international collaborative project on the availability and barriers to access of opioids for cancer pain management in Africa, Asia, Latin America & the Caribbean and the Middle East. Read the press release.
- Cancer Prevention Advocacy Training Toolkit for Africa (PDF download) produced by ESMO, the Africa Oxford Cancer Foundation (AfrOx), the African Organisation for Research and Training in Cancer (AORTIC), and the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC). Read the press release.
- ESMO supports World Cancer Day 2012 – Essential medicines for all! The ‘Morphine Manifesto’ (PDF download) compliments the ESMO-led international collaborative project on access to essential medicines and opioids for pain management.
- Data collection for an international collaborative project on the availability and barriers to access to opioids for cancer patients in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. The project expands on original ESMO/EAPC European survey published in Annals of Oncology in March 2010.
- Afrox-ESMO Cancer Prevention 4 Africa awareness, prevention and early detection campaign.
- ESMO DCTF/UICC/WHO Joint Symposium: Meeting the challenge of managing cervical cancer in the developing world, Milan, Italy
- ESMO DCTF/UICC/WHO Special Symposium: The cancer burden in developing countries the role of prevention, Stockholm, Sweden
- Presentation to Global Health Council, Washington DC, USA
- Developing Countries Special Symposium: Prevention as a weapon to globally fight cancer. The differences in preventive actions between developed and developing countries, Istanbul, Turkey
- Developing Countries Oncology Survey
- Developing Countries Supported Meetings
- ESMO Developing Nations Joint Symposium: Cancer in the developing world – cancer epidemiology and aetiological aspects, Vienna, Austria
- ESMO Developing Countries Task Force established
Last update: January 2015