ESMO Emerging Countries Committee: Major Achievements
- 67th World Health Assembly adopts the "Strengthening of palliative care as a component of integrated treatment throughout the life course" resolution. ESMO, UICC, NCD Alliance and other endorsing partners issue palliative care statement at WHA.
- First international data on opioid availability published in Annals of Oncology. ESMO reports: Untreated cancer pain a ‘scandal of global proportions'. Find out more about this important initiative and all the advocacy tools available.
- ESMO 2012 Congress plenary presentation webcast and video interviews of the survey results of international collaborative project on the availability and barriers to access of opioids for cancer pain management in Africa, Asia, Latin America & the Caribbean and the Middle East. Read the press release.
- Cancer Prevention Advocacy Training Toolkit for Africa (PDF download) produced by ESMO, the Africa Oxford Cancer Foundation (AfrOx), the African Organisation for Research and Training in Cancer (AORTIC), and the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC). Read the press release.
- ESMO supports World Cancer Day 2012 – Essential medicines for all! The ‘Morphine Manifesto’ (PDF download) compliments the ESMO-led international collaborative project on access to essential medicines and opioids for pain management.
- Data collection for an international collaborative project on the availability and barriers to access to opioids for cancer patients in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. The project expands on original ESMO/EAPC European survey published in Annals of Oncology in March 2010.
- Afrox-ESMO Cancer Prevention 4 Africa awareness, prevention and early detection campaign.
- ESMO DCTF/UICC/WHO Joint Symposium: Meeting the challenge of managing cervical cancer in the developing world, Milan, Italy
- ESMO DCTF/UICC/WHO Special Symposium: The cancer burden in developing countries the role of prevention, Stockholm, Sweden
- Presentation to Global Health Council, Washington DC, USA
- Developing Countries Special Symposium: Prevention as a weapon to globally fight cancer. The differences in preventive actions between developed and developing countries, Istanbul, Turkey
- Developing Countries Oncology Survey
- Developing Countries Supported Meetings
- ESMO Developing Nations Joint Symposium: Cancer in the developing world – cancer epidemiology and aetiological aspects, Vienna, Austria
- ESMO Developing Countries Task Force established